Marine tank fish only

Aliasger

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My name is Ali and i am working in tanzania. Have started taking care of 2 x 30,000 ltrs of saltwater tank. I am having issues related to ph drop. My ph is 7.6 with calcium 300ppm and Mg 900ppm. Alkalinity is 5dkh. I would like to know what is wrong.
Please help!!

mr_tap_water

Welcome Ali to RS
A PH of 7.6 IMO is nothing to worry about with fish only systems but if you you really want to raise it you could try Increasing the Kh to say 8 and increase the water movement on top of the surface to allow more gas exchange also wouldn't hurt to get all three status i.e. Cal , Mg, kH , back into range to sea levels at lease which will help keep your Kh stable which will part help towards ph levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aliasger

My mg levels are also low and fish were eating but now have stopped especially emperor and half moon angel.
Tank A
Ph 7.9
Ca 300ppm
Kh 5dkh
Mg 1000ppm

Tank B
Ph 8.11
Ca 320ppm
Kh 8dkh
Mg 1100ppm

Aliasger

Here is the picture of my emperor. It ate first two days but then suddenly the ph went to 7.6 and it stopped taking feed

Attachments

• IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

mr_tap_water

IMO I find it hard to believe that 7.6 ph would of cause this there has been times when my own system has been down as low as 7.7 never saw any affect on any of my fish and don't believe 0.1 would've made any difference either.
As already said just get your stats back up to normal Sea levels at lease.

Aliasger

IMO I find it hard to believe that 7.6 ph would of cause this there has been times when my own system has been down as low as 7.7 never saw any affect on any of my fish and don't believe 0.1 would've made any difference either.
As already said just get your stats back up to normal Sea levels at lease.

I will be using calcium reactor. To boost the levels. For mg i might dose it manually

mr_tap_water

In my opinion it's best to rise The levels manually first and use the calcium reactor to maintain levels required also if you're worried about the magnesium levels not holding with the calcium reactor you can add an additional magnesium chip which will help substantially levels.

Aliasger

Manually?? That would be like too much? As it is 4000 gallons. That too 2 tanks. If calcium and alkalinity is low cant we just use reactor and increase both simultaneously. As i will be using dead coral skeleton.

mr_tap_water

Initially yes but would reach those levels you need a little bit more quicker but that choice is yours.

DaveK

While it's easy to see that your pH, KH and magnesium levels are low. I suspect you may have other problems. What makes me thing this is that your picture of the emperor angel shows a fish in really bad shape. This could be for a number of reasons, fighting, disease, flashing against rocks and a host of others.

You may have issues way beyond just the water parameters you mentioned. Could you also test and post readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate? It would also be helpful to see some pictures of some of the other fish and the tank.

Aliasger

My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate are low , not zero but in low levels. Well, i had this in mind that may be since i added 400 fishes at a stretch so, the tank lost its balance as the tank was matured only for a month.

DaveK

It would be more helpful if you posted exact readings. Something you might consider to be OK might indicate an issue to someone else.

Even so, any reading of ammonia or nitrite other than 0 indicates a problem with biological filtration, and will cause serious harm to your fish.

The time you let a tank mature is only a partial factor. It is also necessary to consider what you did that could slow down or speed up the process.

Aliasger

Hi,
For one tank
The readings are as follows;
pH 8.00
KH 5dKh
NH4 : <0.05ppm
Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.6mg/l
Calcium is 300ppm
Mg is 900ppm

I know phosphate is high, but i haven't got any algal bloom in the tank.

mr_tap_water

What type of filter system do you have and what does it contain also what type of rock do you have any and do you do water changes,
And out of curiosity how come the stats and these Fish got run down so badly in the first place on such a large system.

Aliasger

I am using TMC system 10,000 commercial filter, with UV, Skimmer, Sand filter and two bio tower trickle filter. with calcium reactor. although calcium reactor is not setup, will be doing that next week.

Well another thing is that. The fish are like quarantined only for 1 day that too some angels and tangs. If my parameters are like ok ok ( for which i wanted to know) then the whole reason behind death is quarantine.

My other tank parameters are as follows ( this tank has been infected with marine ich and now i am finding internal worms coming out from the tail of blue tang), although the other fish have not been affected only the ones which couldn't be quarantined.

ph: 8.11
KH 8dkh
Cal: 300ppm
Mg: 1050ppm
Ammonium: <0.05
Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.8ppm, don't know how i haven't fed fish for last five days and even the lights aren't on.

Please help!

mr_tap_water

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My name is Ali and i am working in tanzania. Have started taking care of 2 x 30,000 ltrs of saltwater tank. I am having issues related to ph drop. My ph is 7.6 with calcium 300ppm and Mg 900ppm. Alkalinity is 5dkh. I would like to know what is wrong.
Please help!!
I don't mean to sound funny but why on Earth would you take care of such a large system with so many problems and by the sound of it with not much experience to.