Marine dry fish food

h45e

I feed my fish MarineGro from Red Sea, I want to give the most complete and healthy food possible. The problem is that I am away from my tank for long periods. So I want to feed them through a auto feeder so my house sitters doesnt have to worry about when to feed the fish, or how much. I like to know what is the best of the best dried food suitable for a auto fish feeder?

Thanks guys and girls.
de442aa61021c772a6aab055a8d1c791.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think with all types of foods we feed there, there needs to be variety.
I feed my fish dry, frozen, and live food alternately.
There are so many choices...This is my flake stash right now:
image.jpg

DaveK

To get into this, knowing the following information would help a lot.

How big a tank are we talking about?
What livestock is in the tank, fish, inverts, and corals?
What makes up your filtration system?

Generally, I find automatic more trouble than they are worth. They seem to either dump everything all at once, or the food gets wet and doesn't dump at all.

I will say that if you do use one, the use of a pelleted dry food is best. It's less likely to clump.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
DaveK has a good points when using an Auto-Feeder.
I've never owned one but if you have to trust one, maybe setting it to only feed every other day while you are away might be a better option.
Hope it works out good for you.
When feeding flake food, I try to hold the pinch under the surface for a few seconds so that it doesn't go straight out the overflow gates.
Just dropping on the surface wouldn't work very good in my tank.

Oxylebius

I feed a variety of frozen foods and dried algae. So, auto feeding isn't really an option. Here is an article that looked at phosphate/nitrate of dried foods, if you are gonna feed dried over a period on time when you are away and not able to supervise/test tank parameters, I'd be more inclined to try to pick up dried food that had the least amt of phosphate/nitrate in it. My two cents....
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry

I'd also spend time searching the forum and internet on which feeders are better then others.

Last edited: