Mandarin goby ?

Hi everybody I've been reading and reading everything I possibly can on caring for my 55 gallon tank and I think its about time I get involved in some forum action. I've had my tank for about six to eight months. 40 lbs of crushed coral 40 lbs of live sand and rough guess 50 lbs of rock. This was mostly transferred from my first setup a 29 gal. I have a megaflow model 1 wet/dry a 1050,1450,a much smaller pump I forgot how much it flows and another one that used to have a lil Spinney thing to kinda randomize water flow that I took off and now just pumps. I also have an ehiem classic 2213. Wanna know what u guys think of my setup so far and anything u guys can suggest for a descently priced Skimmer. I Def need one I know that.

sent from my mini flat screen

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326038681798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326038681798.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 65
I had just bought a mandarin goby cause I've been using reef bugs and now my tank has tons of pods but he seems to be OK he just not swimming around and doing the fish thing that I see most do. He is just sitting in this lil cave. Do u think he gonna survive.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dragonets like to hide. Just keep em fed.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Built347

Mine hid for a week when I got it. now he's always front and center... I think you'll be fine.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

tnwillia

I add pods 3 times a year as his primary food. He learned to eat other food on his own after I'd had him for over 18 months, but, Pods are his main food. Good luck!

Well I used the reef bugs a couple of times cause lfs sold me a goniopora and said Im supposed to get that reef snow for it. And it will give me pods for a mandarin Wichita it did cause there everywhere now

So think I should put him in the qt and try to train him and do I just buy mysis from lfs or hatchery deal

dmatt88

Dr's Foster n Smith. Order a few bags of pods. Orders over 175 I believe ship free.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

reefergirl

sorry, cant answer on the goby, but as far as your question on the skimmer, we use a marine land in sump protein skimmer. They aren't priced crazily, but not super cheap either (I think for 100 gal was about $140... we got ours on sale for $100) but we havent had any problems with it at all. He says its the best brand by far he's had yet, but once we upgrade again, he wants the reef octopus. They are supposed to be one of the best, but they are insanely expensive (some run $800 and up)

Thanx for the reply reefergirl. So one of my mental dilemmas is my megaflow w/d. I would like to put a Skimmer in that but don't Skimmers have to be at a constant water level. Is this a good idea anyway to put in a Skimmer after the bioballs and all that good stuff or does it have to have fresh tank water? Should I consider an external Skimmer such as an aquac? Or I was even looking at CPR aquatics aerofuge. Any thoughts on either?

Use frozen mysis you can get it from your lfs.

I would take out the bio balls those will cause you nitrate problems soon.

Go find SantaMonicas thread on algae turf scrubbers and read the website linked in my sig, that will answer your skimmer prob.