Mandarin Goby Is Sick

no1bubba

My mandarin seems to be breathing very heavily and just sitting on the bottom of the tank with his tail bent or in the same position resting on a rock. Is he sick? Bubba

wonderloss

How long have you had him? How large and how old is your tank? Do you have a well-established pod population?

All the information you can give will help, but my first guess based on minimal information would be starvation. Does his stomach look pinched? That is what happened to the scooter blenny (closely related) I used to have.

no1bubba

100 gal tank w/skimmer all water peramiters are good and I had stocked the tank with 100 pods when I got him and that was a year ago. In December I added another 100 that my LFS told me NOT to do because once you have added them they multiply on their own. When I look at him from the top I can see the little air holes remaining open almost all of the time while it appears he is gasping. Thank is over 5 years established. Thanks, Bubba

lcstorc

Why would they tell you not to buy pods? That is really strange since most fish will eat them and they are pretty much a requirement for a mandarin.
If he is not showing a pinched stomach then that is likely not the problem anyway. How are the other fish breathing? Any other indications of a problem?
I would increase surface agitation and add an airstone just in case it is a lack of oxygen. Purely a guess. I would also add some carbon.

leebca

Increased breathing rate and listless behavior is a symptom common to many diseases as well as mal-nutrition. I would put mal-nutrition to be the most likely stressor here.

I don't how many times I have to write this, but I'll write it again. Mandarins cannot live a long time on just the pods in the tank. It is explained in more detail here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...pod-eaters-momma-dont-feed-me-no-balogna.html

These fish need to be trained to eat prepared and better balanced foods. Fish that do live a while longer or for a longer time are just lucky. The home aquarium is NOT the open sea. It doesn't contain the quantity nor variety of natural foods for ANY wild captive marine fish.

Thin usually means undernourished; but fat doesn't mean properly fed. If fat means healthy then fat humans are healthy -- you know better than that!