Mandarin dragonet acting strange

I have a female mandarin dragonet for almost 2 years and this week,she's been acting quite strange. She'll stay In a small corner where she can see her own reflection and swim around facing the glass for hours, it's been going on for almost a week, should I be worried?

DaveK

Do you perhaps have a male? They are known not to like other males. It may be seeing it's reflection and think it's another fish trying to move into it's territory.

Mike Johnson

I hate it when fish do that. It makes them look retarded. I've had a few different species of fish just up and start doing that. (Chasing their reflection). It just might do it forever more. Try putting a mirror there. Also the glass reflects more to the fish when it is slightly algae covered? Try keeping the glass clean and the mirror someplace else. Just like a two year old you got to distract them.

ziggy

I have a female mandarin dragonet for almost 2 years and this week,she's been acting quite strange. She'll stay In a small corner where she can see her own reflection and swim around facing the glass for hours, it's been going on for almost a week, should I be worried?

I take it your params are ok... like ammonia?

Phineous

Mine does this in the evenings occasionally. I think it may be related to mating. There's some videos of mandarins mating and I think their dance starts this way.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Does She take time to hunt for food during the days she does that? :fishy:
I don't have a Mandarin Dragonet YET....but if I add another fish, it's the one I'd like to get.
Having had your's for 2 years must mean your doing something right & that it's finding enough live food in tank. :thumbup:
Do you have a feeder for it or do you add pods to your tank, if so...how often?
I'm trying to get my tank ready for one since it's a year old now. :D

Thanks for the quick responses, the params seem to be in check since last time I checked ( previous Sunday ), it's already been a week and he's not moved away from her reflection even for a sec ( she's a female:) ) not I'm really getting worried because she's getting skinny, it can't be because there's not enough copepods because I check every night and they're everywhere :hammerhea

DaveK

Not trying to disappoint you, but a "small hang on refugium" is close to useless as far as actually doing anything goes. At best it will make you feel good about having it. They are simply too small to have much effect.

Not trying to disappoint you, but a "small hang on refugium" is close to useless as far as actually doing anything goes. At best it will make you feel good about having it. They are simply too small to have much effect.

Sorry, didn't meant to offend anyone :( but It was all I could find that would fit the Red Sea 130 at the time, currently working on how to attach the sump I got to the display without drilling, the only inhabitants atm is the dragonet, basslet and blenny

Phineous

I've kept a small mandarin in a RSM 130 for almost two years without a refugium. I keep the ceramic tubes that come with the RSM in the rear sump under the skimmer. They're loaded with pods and the pods get sucked out to the display. Occasionally I'll buy a chunk of chaeto and shake it out in the rear sump to repopulate the pod and critter population. If you've also kept a mandarin for two years, your refugium is doing the same at keeping the pod population up. Use it to grow some cheato or other macroalgae like blue ochtodes for even better results.

Over the two years mine has gone from near death skinny (that's how she arrived at the LFS) to slightly plump. I've debated getting her to eat frozen, but most I've seen that eat frozen are fat and lazy, and I like watching her hunt.

If you can catch her easily (probably best to try at night while she's in her "cocoon"), put her in the refugium for a little while and observe the result. There could be something in else in the tank stressing her.

There's probably nothing to worry about, but if she's getting really skinny (pinched stomach), then taking some kind of action before she doesn't have enough energy to hunt is a good idea. Some alone time in the refugium could be just what she needs. Also, the walls may be less reflective so if she's really staring at herself in the mirror, that would break the spell.

Good luck!

One thing I've observed that may help with pod population is keeping iodine levels up. Pods release eggs when they molt, and iodine appears to help molting. I add two or three drops of Lugols solution each week. Shortly after I'll see pod molts in the skimmer cup.

I hate it when fish do that. It makes them look retarded. I've had a few different species of fish just up and start doing that. (Chasing their reflection). It just might do it forever more. Try putting a mirror there. Also the glass reflects more to the fish when it is slightly algae covered? Try keeping the glass clean and the mirror someplace else. Just like a two year old you got to distract them.

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked! She's back to picking on rocks and has lost her skinny appearance, wonder why'd it would suddenly be so fascinated of her reflection :hammerhea

I'll start measuring iodine levels too, the only macro algae in the tank is the caulerpa in the refugium, I don't know why but the LFS no longer stock macro algae because they're not allowed to bring it in :(

Mike Johnson

Was afraid to look at the post, thought maybe it would say she died. Believe it or not Mandarins can be extremely brutal and will go berserk trying to kill another one. It's also amazing how fast they are when they're doing that. I think it was a stare down contest and she was waiting for the other one to move. Then it would have been an all out war.