making a tank, viable option?

nunlef

I was thinking about downgrading my 120g, but after looking at the room where I would like to relocate my livestock, I thought dual 90-s would be more attractive.

I do not want to buy 2 90g tanks.

I have seen a few websites that explain how to make an acrylic tank, so I'm wondering if these people are crazy, or is making your own tank a genuine possibility.

My livestock inventory is low right now, but I do have tangs, and would like more. so dimensions would have to accomodate at least 5 tangs. I was thinking (possibly);
dual 60 (left to right) x 30 (top to bottom) x 15 (front to back). these would (again, possibly) be connected by some kind of bridge at the top.
It would basically frame out a gas (ie, fake) fireplace.

I priced a custom built unit, and it was a little over 7k. There is NO way the husband would approve that kind of expense - he won't even approve vortechs for the 120 ;)

anyway, if someone has experience building an acrylic tank, I would love to hear about it.

DaveK

Buy yourself the two 90 gal tanks in glass.

Acrylic plastic is extremely expensive nowadays. You will end up spending much more on a tank done in acrylic, compared to one done in glass.

In addition, making a tank or any other acrylic container, such as a sump, require precession cuts. Do you have a table saw available in order to do this?

Is it possible to make your own tank, yes it is. However, for most of us, we are much better off either buying a stock tank or having a tank custom built for us. The tank is one of the least expensive parts of a reef system. In a way, it's kind of like asking if you can build your own house. Sure some people do just that, but most of us purchase something that was built by a contractor.

Ideally the front to back dimension should be much wider. 18 inches would be a preferred minimum, with 24 being better. The 15 inches you propose would give you all of the aquascapeing problems that tanks like standard 55's have.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
+1 DaveK

You can definitely build your own tank if you have the tools or order it pre cut to size but it is definitely cheaper to buy than to build a glass or acrylic tank.

It's something I plan to do someday but for now it cost to much $$$$

nunlef

I contacted Acrylytt (sp?), anyway, extruded acrylic at 0.70??" was $1500 total including shipping. That was a cut to order price. Midwest acrylic was $7k to make the shape tank I was thinking of. huge price difference.

Sadly, my last real job before children was as an architectural designer, and I have physically built habitable structures, so part of me feels like I could do this. I also have tools that could be adapted to acrylic work.

umm, a 90g tank is still really heavy. Acrylic is not as heavy.

Is the 15" depth really that bad? If I were to put a tank on either side of the fireplace, I would want it to be as seamless as possible. I do have one tank that is 10", and putting rock into that thing was hopeless. The 24" tank looks a little empty front to back.

i thought it was a fabulous idea. I'm guessing I should be waiting until I don't need to think about weight (planning on selling this house to build my own :makefun: when the market recovers) I like the look of glass better, but was thinking if I needed to move it next year, acrylic would be easier.

well great, now i have been talked out of it. Is my husband paying you guys?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can get a 90 gallon acrylic rr for alot less than $1500.00 more like $500.00

nunlef

You can get a 90 gallon acrylic rr for alot less than $1500.00 more like $500.00

The big money quote was for the whole wall, basically. It would be about 300g total volume - one large portion on each side, and a tunnel to connect the 2.

I looked at getting (2) 125's, not sure yet.

I bought the 120 because of the great price, but something about the dimensions of that tank bother me. It's big, yes, but I like the idea of more horizontal swimming room. I tend to like the aquascaping in longer tanks, too.

I bought a drumset yesterday (see "trade" post ;) ) so the man, I mean, the husband said no more fish tank money until the fall.

Something to think about, anyway

DaveK

I contacted Acrylytt (sp?), anyway, extruded acrylic at 0.70??" was $1500 total including shipping. ...
umm, a 90g tank is still really heavy. Acrylic is not as heavy.

Is the 15" depth really that bad? ...

A glass reef ready tank should cost under about $300, Far less than acrylic.

Acrylic is lighter than glass, but in the grand scheme of things is minor compared to the water, live rock and sand. In addition acrylic scratches easily. OTOH, acrylic can be made into exotic shapes.

Yes, a 15" depth makes it extremely difficult to aquascape. Think of rocks being more or less round, so it's tough to go up with out going out.

From what you are describing, you seem to want this not only to be a reef system, but the center piece of the room as well. I think a greater front to back distance would allow much better looking tanks.

nunlef

From what you are describing, you seem to want this not only to be a reef system, but the center piece of the room as well. I think a greater front to back distance would allow much better looking tanks.

I have a limited ability to decorate (i can't use a curling iron, either... I'm defective for a female) so, yes, the reef would be just about the only decoration in the room. If I were to go to 18"-20", it would need to be elsewhere, the fireplace is built in tot he wall, so anything deeper than 15" would make the fireplace look sunken in.

I have time to plan, I guess. just thought doing a DIY tank would push up the date from "who the heck knows when" to this winter.

DaveK

Going to 18" is only 3 more inches. Perhaps you could build the aquariums partly into the wall?

nunlef

exterior wall = no built in tank. actually, we don't have a single place in our house were a tank could be built in. That's the bad thing about really efficient modern architectural design, no wasted space.