Major algae problem!

Sean99

Hi everyone, can someone please help me. I got a major bubble algae and slime algae problem in my 55 gallon aquarium. The algae is all over the rocks, glass, and sand. I'm guessing the outbreak is from my tank being only a few months old, but is there anything I can do about it??? Also, what other creatures should I get for my CUC that would help this problem, they must be reef safe. I only have 8 Turbo Snails
and 2 Astrea Snails.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
First of all Sean let's look at what the Problem is and address the cause not the symptom.

Yes most all tanks go through some degree of an algae "cycle" but in a well balanced tank this outbreak is usually fairly mild. It sounds like yours may be a bit more advanced and be indicative of some underlying problems in the tank.

Algae is best battled from every angle possible. Here's what I'd suggest:
  • A) What is your SOURCE water and if RO/DI then test RO/DI for elevated TDS (time to replace filters)
  • B) What are you feeding, how much, and how often?
  • C) What's your water change schedule and amount?
  • D) Start MANUAL removal often and accompany it with an immediate water change to help export some of the algae from your system.
  • E) What type of lights, how long are they on and how old are the bulbs?
  • F) Evaluate your Clean Up Crew
  • G) Evaluate any mechanical filtration you have on your system (filter socks, sponges, bio-balls, etc)
  • H) What are your current test results? (Exact #'s)

In regards to a Clean Up Crew you're probably way under-staffed there. I highly suggest visiting ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home and filling out their Custom Clean Up Crew form and let John give you his expert suggestion on exactly what your tank needs. They give AMAZING customer service and usually ship a bit more than you purchase!!

Sean99

Thank you for the reply. I currently do not own a RO/DI unit, but I was planning on getting one in a month or so. I feed my fish Formula 1 and Formula 2, and sometimes Mysis Shrimp. I only feed them as much as they can eat in 5 minutes. As for water changes, once a week and about 10-20%. I have T5-HO lights, and the bulbs are not even a month old yet. My test results are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1ppm
I am wondering if my Phosphate levels are too high. I will check out Reef Cleaners now for my CUC.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It sounds like so far most everything is in "Check".

What fish do you have in the tank? It might be a bioload problem.

Also tank temps could be creeping higher which will enhance algae bloom.