Maintenance help: I plan to upgrade to Tunze 9002, anything else I should upgrade?

AJimmy419

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a used 34 gallon RSM 130 from a previous owner who gave me his water, rock, sand, and a couple frags. I'm completely new to the hobby and so far I love this tank because there isn't much to do w/ tank maintenance. The previous owner didn't upgrade anything besides 2 wave making fans inside the tank. So I'm about to get the Tunze 9002 w/ upgraded cup from a fellow reefer. Now the question is, is there anything else I need to worry about, equipment wise, with the RSM. Will I need to replace anything? Will I need to replace the pumps? I'm pretty much asking because I'm new to the hobby, and the easier the tank, the easier it will be for me to not worry about anything major going wrong with the tank. Any kind of tips, maintenance wise, would help me out a lot from fellow RSM owners. Looking for any knowledge on how the RSM works over time, from people who have had the RSM for a long time. Thanks a lot.

***I know to get the media rack, but gonna wait a little bit for that.
***I just ordered new light stock replacement lights from Stevie T. Anyone recommend any other types of bulbs to use in the stock lighting system.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Maintenance help: I plan to upgrade to Tunze 9002, anything else I should upgrade

Hi. I'm not running much stock on my tank. Replacing the bulbs is a good idea - the 130 bulbs are a non-standard size and few other bulbs will fit. The RSM bulbs are probably the best light output for that tank anyway. I replace my 2 130 pumps about once a year - when they become a problem restarting, even after cleaning. If you want easy the media rack is really the way to go - so you don't have to pull the 2 pumps to change media in that chamber. Maintenance - keep the skimmer cup & neck clean, and clean the pumps once in a while. As you said the fans aren't a warranty item - when I ran the stock hood mine starting sounding like jet engines when they would start up!

AJimmy419

Re: Maintenance help: I plan to upgrade to Tunze 9002, anything else I should upgrade

Hey Thanks for replying. Could you tell me a little bit about cleaning the pumps? You said clean them once a year? How do I go about cleaning the pumps? Do you have the Tunze 9002? If you do, is it as easy as just dropping it in the back of the tank, and turn it on? Or is there more to the installation of the Tunze 9002? Thanks again.

Lurkerz

The lights from UV lighting that ReefGeeks sell will fit in the RSM hood and they have some pretty cool clolor options with built-in reflectors. Im running a 75/25 which gives off about a 14k color and a 2in1 which has a 75/25 and a super actintic. the price is very reasonable also

AJimmy419

Thanks Lurkerz. It stinks that I already ordered the lights, but maybe I'll think about getting those as well. Do you have any pics of what ur tank looks like with those lights? Thanks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Lurkerz - I've never seen bulbs that will fit a RSM 130 on Reef Geeks? The 130 doesn't take a standard T5 - only the RSM 250 will take T5 bulbs. The only non-RSM bulbs I've seen fit the 130 are 65W PC bulbs, and they didn't have as much intensity as the Red Sea 55 watt bulbs.

AJimmy - some clean the pumps every month - I do it every 2-3 months. Unplug from the power supply and remove them - take them to a sink & pop off the snap on fitting, remove the impeller carefully (held in by a magnet), and clean the impeller and the inside of the shaft it fits into, as well as any needed cleanup of gunk inside the rest of it.

I only ran the Tunze in my cabinet sump for a while, so I'll have to let someone running it in the back answer that one.

Lurkerz

this is the latest FTS with those lights
NCAR3193.jpg

It actually looks just a bit brighter in person than this shot

AJimmy419

Thanks for the step by step directions ReefMack

AJimmy419

Lukarz, I can't seem to find the lights your talking about on that website.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Lurkerz - can you post a link to the bulbs? Are they 65w PC's?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Ok - they are the 65w PC's. I've only ever been interested in the T5's at Reef Geek. Great color in the tank - probably from the 100% actinic bulb (and maybe a bit of Photoshop tweaking LOL!).

AJimmy419

Lukarz, I can't seem to find the lights your talking about on that website.

AJimmy419

Hey Reefmack. Would you say that you recommend changing the pumps every year or I have to change the pumps every year? Thanks.

AJimmy419

Hey Reefmack. Would you say you recommend changing the pumps every year or I HAVE to change the pumps every year. Thanks for the help.

Monkeyboy

The tunze connects to the media rack via a magnet, very straight forward to do but watch your fingers it's a strong magnet. The rsm lights are pretty good but I've added an aquabeam 500 led strip for a bit more intensity. I'd also look to change the heater if it's the stock one, there are numerous stories of them exploding!!

Good luck with the tank!!

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

It's not necessary to change the pumps every year. I do it when they have problems restarting, even after a good cleaning. It just happens to be about a year to 18 months when this happens for me.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Lukarz - is this the lights you are running - Item #: UVL1035 & Item #: UVL1011?

Manufacturer: UV Lighting
Dimensions: 21.0" x 1.8" x 0.9" (L x W x H)
Availability: In Stock - Usually ships in 24 hours
Item #: UVL1035
½ 75-25 14000K Aquablue and ½ Super Actinic. 75-25 half combines the properties of a Super Actinic bulb (approximately 75%) with a full-spectrum daylight bulb (approximately 25%) producing a color temperature of approximately 14000K. Super Actinic half produces a spectrum that peaks at 420nm producing a spectrum that encourages ultimate fluorescence and coral enhancement in capable corals. Built-in reflector maximizes lamp output putting more light where it's needed, on the tank. Outperforms other power compact lamps without a reflector by as much as 50%. Recommended Use: as a supplement to metal halides, as a stand alone bulb or in combination with a Super Actinic or Actinic White. Bulb Pin Configuration: four pins in a straight line. Warranty: 6 months (Pro-Rated).

Description Our Price Qty
65W 2-in-1 (Super Actinic/75-25) Powercompact (Straight Pin)

and...

Manufacturer: UV Lighting
Dimensions: 21.0" x 1.8" x 0.9" (L x W x H)
Availability: In Stock - Usually ships in 24 hours
Item #: UVL1011
Combines the properties of a Super Actinic bulb (approximately 75%) with a full-spectrum daylight bulb (approximately 25%) producing a color temperature of approximately 14000K. Built-in reflector maximizes lamp output putting more light where it's needed, on the tank. Outperforms other power compact lamps without a reflector by as much as 50%. Recommended Use: as a supplement to metal halides, as a stand alone bulb or in combination with an Actinic White, Super Actinic or 2-in-1. Bulb Pin Configuration: four pins in a straight line. Warranty: 6 months (Pro-Rated).

Description Our Price Qty
65W 75-25 14000K Aquablue Powercompact (Straight Pin)