Maintaining sump level S400

adamsfour

New Problem, I have a RSM S400 been working flawlessly since June 2013. Lately I seem to be have a small issue with the level adjustment in the sump. It seem to fluctuate. The fresh water tank seems to be working fine (that was my first guess). Anyone has similar experience? Only idea/guess I can come up with is that the evaporation is higher than the fresh can replish it. I am using ~1.25 gallons per day. I have adjust the flow value a couple of times to compensate.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
H Adam. So long at the float valve is working correctly (1 to 2 drips per second) the system is more than big enough to keep up, can I suggest you check the water level in the front media try section is similar to the final pump chamber where the return pump is, if there is a significant deference then there is a restriction in the area of the media try in front of the skimmer, its important to allow free water flow via that chamber and need floss of foam etc restricting the flow, this underflows to the final chamber, if restricted it can cause the level to back up in the rest of the sump.

adamsfour

Thanks just check and it appears fine but did adjust media to see if that is having any impact. Certainly possible given I have a lot of media in there. Thanks for the recommendation

adamsfour

The bubbles have again returned. I have pretty much check everything. Could it be the main valve Diaphragm causing the issue or partial clog float for the top-off.

adamsfour

RedseaKev I am actually returning early from a business trip to try and address the issue. Any advice on what areas to look at to address the problem. My LFS wonders if it's a faulty float valve or a clog sponge. In terms of sponges I am only aware of two on in back chamber that is catching the skimmer outflow on one in main pump chamber. Are there any others.

adamsfour

UPDATE: I was able to determine that the float was not working properly. I went ahead and replace the float and after a few adjustment the problem was resolved. I also did not realize/remember that there is a large black filter material in the far back portion of the sump. It was very dirty and has been cleaned.