maintaining a FOWLR 500g+

ost911

hello all!

I went to a local car dealership today to look around and waste some time. I was unaware that they had a huge FOWLR DT set up my guess is 500g prob more. it was the worse tank ive ever seen! it litterally looked like they put 150 pissed cats inside for months, and an awful algae outbreak. i really felt bad for the 20+ fish inside. so i asked one of the salesman about it, they are paying a pet store owner 2k a month to maintain it and they are looking for someone else to do a better job. this got the hamster wheel rolling in my head.

whats involved in maintaining such a large DT? i think i can do 100% better job that whats currentaly getting done. but my only experience is my bc 29 hqi.

thanks, and i know im asking such a broad question, but i have no specs on the tank yet.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Buddy tank husbandry isn't a class. Wish it was. Its a passion and a evolving knowledge base.

PS. Ill do it for $1500

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

ost911

haha i wish there was to. i really enjoy this hobby! so what kind of water change % is there on a lightly stocked fowlr tank? i figured at 2 days a week, 4 hours a day i can keep it up quite nice. id prob have to get in it to clean it tho lol!

sk8rdn

What's involved in maintaining that size? A LOT of water changes and A LOT of time and effort to correct former negligence.

sk8rdn

haha i wish there was to. i really enjoy this hobby! so what kind of water change % is there on a lightly stocked fowlr tank? i figured at 2 days a week, 4 hours a day i can keep it up quite nice. id prob have to get in it to clean it tho lol!

Are you scuba certified? Lol

ost911

nope but i can snorkel!! it tank is about 3ft deep but about 10-12 ft long and 5 ft wide its really big lol

ost911

i will have to spend a few bucks first. cupple cases of salt. 3 55g trash cans on casters. a step ladder, some filter pads, misc hose (free), test kits to keep there, and a ro/di unit!

dmatt88

i will have to spend a few bucks first. cupple cases of salt. 3 55g trash cans on casters. a step ladder, some filter pads, misc hose (free), test kits to keep there, and a ro/di unit!

Ur well on track. Good job.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

ost911

the thought of it scares me tho! ive never messed w a tank that has a sump. its a whole new ball game for me.

DaveK

A couple of thoughts. Going from a moderate size home tank to one of 500 gal is a huge jump. Also, consider carefully, do you really want to go into the aquarium maintenance business? $2000 may sound like a lot of money, but consider the capital you'll need to invest in equipment, and your time. Chances are you'll make far less money than your current job.

I hate to see poorly run aquariums in a business, but I also realise that I can't save the world. I'm not saying don't try it, but think carefully before you get involved in this.

StirCrayzy

I think the maintenance isnt really the biggest problem you will have.

Bringing the tank back from the murky depths of Davy Jones' Locker , is what will get you.

To find everything that is currently going wrong and try to fix may break the bank.
Which is one thing to be absolutely clear with owners... they need to commit to funding the FIX, before you can MAINTAIN.
Othe than that, Good Luck !
and i would do it for $1000 plus travel expenses.

ost911

I'm gonna go talk to the gm and touch bases w him. I just spoke to a salesman, they may have already found somebody to start taking better care of it. Thanks for all of your input.

By any chance does anyone care for a huge commercial dt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doogle

. Most people work 40 hours a week for that much $ a month. LOL or is that not funny ? Get a pic of it so we can see what your wanting to tackle. Sounds like a lot of work especially if you have to invest - no way I'd use my salt, even if I do get it uber cheap at $29/200g box.

ost911

I will I've just gotta make time w work to meet up w the gm he's only there in the morn mon-fri I work in the morn Mon- fri lol

I don't bring home 2k a month so it would really help my reef fund and help thoes poor fish out.

As far as salt and supplies go it wouldn't be that bad of an investment. I think 2 months pay would take care of the overall cost for a year. Tho I may be wrong.