macro filtered reef water?

nunlef

I am wondering if it is possible to utilize specific algae to "filter" water for use in a reef tank. I ordered several different algae from reef cleaners (hopefully getting it today :) ) and will be using it in my display mixed reef. I think it will look pretty, but I am also hoping to better the water quality with it.

Long term, I will be building a 350g-400g reef into our new house (not for another year). Water changes on a system that large would be difficult and wasteful.

SO, If I established a macro tank, and used either tap or the wastewater from the RODI unit, could the macro tank serve as a "filter" for the water. (ex. I pour 50 gallons of "source" water into the tank filled with various chosen algae, let it sit for a week or 2 or 3, then use that water as my "water change" water for the big tank) would that be adequately filtered?

The tap water would be a well with higher than average iron and sulfur content. We will have a "better" water softening system, potentially a commercial grade system. We are still researching our options, but others in the area have chosen a commercial grade salt system.

thanks,
Heather

smkndrgn142

Interesting question. I'm going to follow along and see if anyone can answer. It would be a great experiment to try if no one knows.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't really see the whole "Logic" behind the theory. I don't think algae can/will actively filter the water to any degree of clarity at all. Keep in mind that water changes not only add new trace elements they export a build up of nasties that are trapped in your system.

On a 400g system you could do a 10% WC a week (40g) and not break the bank. I'm doing 35g on my 90g system every week or other week and it's not a bad deal at all.

GrendelPrime

u ever look into algae turf scrubbers, there easy peezy to make and do 1 hell of a job processing phosphates and damn near everyother kind of crap u dont want in ur water

smkndrgn142

SO, If I established a macro tank, and used either tap or the wastewater from the RODI unit, could the macro tank serve as a "filter" for the water. (ex. I pour 50 gallons of "source" water into the tank filled with various chosen algae, let it sit for a week or 2 or 3, then use that water as my "water change" water for the big tank) would that be adequately filtered?

I think you guys missed her point...she's not trying to do fewer water changes, she's wondering if she could filter tap water or waste water from an RO unit through an algae tank to make it safe to use for her waterchanges.

GrendelPrime

i guess i did miss the point..lol..i wouldent think it would be to efficient, how long would it tank for the macro to filter the water?my guess would be more then a few days then most likley u would need to top off the macro tank adding more untreated water prolonging the time it takes for the plants to absorb the impurities and the cycle keeps on rollin..hopefuly this is more along the lines of the question and im not off in left field again..lol

GrendelPrime

i just think the time is the factor..how long will it take for the macro to suck up the gunk before u need to top off from evap with the left over water adding more gunk into the water..thats 1 of the biggest reasons i dont use ro/di i cant justify the waste..i have 2 plants and i can only fill the washing machine so much..lol

nunlef

actually, the algae turf scrubber concept is how I thought of the idea. If you can use algae in that capacity to "filter" the water, why not just go ahead and plant a tank with it and create an entire environment for the algae to work it's magic.

the top off situation is something I didn't think of. I guess that would have to be RODI water so it wouldn't set back the "percolation" time frame.

I happen to have an extra 30g tank sitting around. I think I might try this little experiment.

nunlef

You could always top off with distilled as well.

good point. Though I already have a fancy RODI unit, so I may as well use it.

Now I'm wondering If I could set-up some kind of "water cycle" - macro tank feeding reef, then pumped back to macro tank, hmmm.....
Of course then I would definitely encounter the issue BigAll brought up.