Lymphocystis

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The Complete Aquarium Problem Solver, Kevin Boyd
" Lymphosystis is a viral growth that can appear on the fins and skin of aquarium fish. Lymph can be distingguished from other tumors by its distinctive appearance. Close inspection of the Lymphocystis nodule reveals white to gray cauliflower or raspberry-like gorwhts that usually begin at the tiips of the fish's fins and may eventually spread to other areas of the fish's body. Usually, the cuase of Lymph is from unusual stress or shipping. Lymph that appears on new additions to the tank is most likely caused from the stress of capture and transport.

Symptoms: White to gray, cauliflower or raspberry-like groths on the fins or body of the fish.

Treatment: Since lymph is not very contagious or fatal, the best treatment is to leave the fish in the main tank and let the disease run its course. If you have an ultraviolet light, keep it on to stop the spread of the virus. If the Lymph tumor covers most of the mouth, causing eating problems for the fish, the growth should be removed. If you want to perform the surgery, net the fish and place it on a clean, wet towel. With a scalpel or new razor blade, carefully trim the portion of Lymph that is obstructing the mouth. Be careful not to cut into the actual skin, if at al possible. Disinfect the area by dabbingit with a cotton swab dipped in a broad spectrum antiseptic such as betadine. Let the drug penetrate for ten seconds then place the fish directly back in the main tank. Do not keep the fish out of the water for more than one minute."

Other info:
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals - Fish Disease
Lymphosystis in Marine and Freshwater Fishes

Here is a pic of "Lee" my male percula. He has been battling Lymph every since I bought him a few months ago. I euthanized "Lee" this morning because he was having difficulty swimming and seemed to be in a lot of pain :waa:
Lymphocystis.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear that Doni:tears: ...seems to be common with clowns, mine had the same problem although he recovered on his own.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Well this clown had spots on different parts of his body. The first bump on his head healed quickly just as another on his fin grew; then the fin healed just as another on his side grew....etc, etc. I thought he was healed when this on on his tail popped up about a week ago... :( He was eating fine until today.