LPS coral questions

sixline

I've got my first LPS corals: a torch coral and a branching hammer coral.

I've had them for three weeks now, started them in the sand, and then moved them up. I've got 10 t5 bulbs. I think I've got the placement OK, there is lowish flow, and they both have pretty good color, but their tentacles are not fully opened.

Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites are all around zero, ph varies from 8.2 to 8.4, Ca is 500ppm, Mg is 1300ppm, and alkalinity is 9 dKH.

A few questions:

- Any ideas on why they are not extending fully?
- The branching hammer coral seems to have a few tentacles that are longer and thinner than the others. They're not sweepers. Is this normal?
- What kind of growth rate can be expected?
- I haven't been feeding them, but feed the rest of the tank cyclopeeze. I assume they are grabbing some of this?
- Any other tips, anecdotes, aphorisms, criticisms, or encouragement is welcome.

reefer gladness

Pics? Would be good to see just how extended the corals are. I have my hammer under medium to high flow. It's always open but rarely sends out tentacles which I assume is due to the water flow.

Yes, it should be feeding when you feed the tank. But if you really want it to grow faster try spot feeding it once a week with mysis shrimp or similar.

Mike Johnson

Since my wife has quite a few corals in the Euphyllia family, and they grow like crazy, I thought I might give you some tips.

First, it seems to me that all your parameters are good.
Long tentacles on a hammer is normal.
Lowish flow is not ideal; they can take a lot of flow.
They are always hungry. It's hard to tell when they're actually eating, but they are. I believe you can feed them every day without adverse effects. We feed them Reef Frenzy every other day.
Now, to the subject of concern: 10 bulb T-5? That's a lot of light. Although they are a light loving coral, they do not like a lot of light. I have an eight bulb T-5 on my 120 and have to keep them at the bottom.
Another hint. I would attach them to a medium size rock right away. One that will keep them upright and out of the sand when they get bigger and heavier, which they will in less than a year.
Hope this helps.

sixline

Thanks very much for the tips. Perhaps I should shorten my photoperiod? I've got a RSM s400, and these are the only stony corals I have or plan on getting. Everything else is soft corals. The LPS are just under halfway up from the bottom of the tank. I just measured - approximately 14" from the top of the coral to the lights.

Here are some (admittedly not very good) photos. There are two small frags and they're both glued to the same rock.

9410737799_f7b55448c2_z.jpg

9413501054_209ce8b5ec_z.jpg

9413501056_235a8d37af_z.jpg

9410737781_48edded3a7_z.jpg

Oh, and another question: I know that if my mushrooms or xenia were to start to intrude, these guys will send out sweeper tentacles. Is it ok to let this happen once the soft corals start to spread? In other words, will the sweeper tentacles keep the area around the LPS cleared and the mushrooms will get the message? Or will it be an ugly war that sends bad chemicals into the water?

Thanks everyone!

Mike Johnson

The soft corals and mushrooms will get the message or it might not bother them at all, but it would certainly be a one-sided war.