Looking to purchase Protein Skimmer - which one out of three?

T2gizmo

Hello, I'm looking purchase one of these three protein skimmers.

I have a 90gal. with medium bio-load. I do tend to over feed a little.

1. Reef octopus 4
2. SWC extreme 160 cone
3. Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 cone.

Which one is the easiest to adjust and does one last longer than the other as far as the pump goes.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sure some RS members can give you some good feedback on the above...

redneckgearhead

I have the SWC 160 while I am not totally upset with the skimmer mine seems a bit touchy, I either have it overflow after i feed or so dry the skimmate builds up in the neck not the cup. But the extreme may not be as touchy. Also I think the guy that builds the SWC is in trouble for importing illegal LR and animals. But from what I have read the pumps are the thing that matter the most and some skimmers require a pump upgrade to really perform.

tnwillia

I have the swc 160. I had a pump Fail the first year i was running it shipping cost as much ss the pump to get it replaced. Never had a problem after the new pump but i just pulled it out and put my lifereef skimmer back in my system. I've read the same about swc problems and i'd stear away from them. Good luck!

Tru2nr

definitely go the next level up i have a 75G with a 20g sump and im running a Reef Octopus rated for 180