Looking for new powerheads...

Skidder84

I need some help on what to do. Tank is a 30x28x48, so it's tall. Right now I have 4 maxi jets 1200, I took one out and diatoms came with in 2 days so I thing I'm one the light edge of water flow. Of course I would like ecotechs but not right now (don't use the "buy the right stuff and you won't have to buy it again" line). So how much flow do I need? What PHs would you use? and wave makers YEA or NA?

THANKS,

chipmunkofdoom2

Ecotechs. I know you say don't use that line, but I can tell you from experience.. I used to be on of the people who said "Don't use that line". I thought, "Well, I can't really swing an Ecotech right now. I'll get Koralias and call it a day". And I did. But now I'm only just satisfied with the flow.. If I would have saved up the money for an Ecotech, I would be able to crank it up, instead of having to buy a new Koralia or plan for an Ecotech. Plus, the Ecotech has wave making a feeding features that you just don't get with low tech pumps.

Moral of the story? When people say buy right so you don't buy twice, it's because they buy twice and wish they would have listened to everyone else.. I know it sounds like we're just being obstinate or unhelpful, but we see ourselves in you and we're telling you what we wish someone would have told us (or what we wish we would have listened to). The only exception is if you only feel like you're half-into the hobby.. the only way expensive equipment makes sense is if you're going to have your aquarium for the long haul. If you know you're going to be out of the hobby in a few years, buy a few Koralias. I would not recommend MJs for flow. If you do plan on being in it for the long haul, you would be doing yourself a huge favor by waiting until you have the money or finding a way to make Ecotechs work.

Just my (and I'm sure others') $0.02.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very well said Pat :)

Flow isn't the only factor with DIATOMS so if you've that "close to the edge" you may want to address some other root causes.

As for as "how much flow do I need" we need to know a LOT more about your tank.

• What coral do you have in it?
  • What other means of water circulation do you have right now?
  • What are your plans for the tank long-term?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice post Patrick & Allen !

I too started with a Koralia, then bought a Vortech, then wished I had started with my Vortech.

fyi - had to google this ... :)

Acronym Definition
TTT To the Top (aka bounce, BBSs)

tnwillia

+3^, I have a box full of Koralias that were replaced by two MP-40s. Good luck how ever you go!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I would look at the Sicce power heads if I were you.

When it comes to all the bells and whistles...Vortech hands down and yes I did look at them before I settled on 2 Sicce voyager 4000HP heads for my tank.
I can say they are built like a tank and I would highly recommend taking a look at them. It is easy to just say save up, but everyone's economy and budget is different.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good news is I can always find a way to recycle my old koralias!

,......im Matt n i support this message

redneckgearhead

Koralia's work just fine and would be what I would recommend if you are on a limited budget. They work and are in-expensive compared to ecotechs and can be directed in different directions to get the flow you want where you want it. Are Ecotechs the best? I am sure they are top of the line but do they have drawbacks? Do a quick search and you will find several people that have several complaints about them. And like bearjohnson said Sicce seems to be a good PH and will be my next PH purchase.

PIMPALA

Kevin, go check out the Sicce at Premier Aquatics. They have them in stock, and if I didnt already have a pair of MP40s, I'd own a pair of the Sicce with their $149 wavemaker add on module.