Looking for Goby / Blenny Suggestions

Paragon

Hello All,

I hope you're all having a good weekend.

I'm looking to add another fish or two to my aquarium. Specifically, my wife and I enjoy goby/blennys, and I'm thinking of adding one to the tank. I wanted your suggestions on a variety of blenny / goby that you have seen and particularly enjoyed, and one that would be well suited to my aquarium.

The current contents of my aquarium are listed below.

Thanks in advance,
Para

blennielove

Greetings,
Any watchman goby would be lovely, a pair with a pistal shrimp would be doubly lovely. Yellow watchmans are cute because the boy is yellow and the girl is often white or light grey. Pink spotted watchmans are also nice, I've had one for 3 years now, the only thing with this particular one is that he likes to play with my hermits and sometimes by playing, he ends up eating one or two...but he keeps the shells around his little cave as decorations.
Tiger goby is really neat, they will go around and sift your sand and they have lots of personality, I think more so than the yellow or pink spotteds.
Orange spotted blennies are really nice too and they have a most adorable face. My recognizes me and comes up to beg for food.
Lawn mower blennies are nice if you can get them to accept available foods, my particular lawn mower wouldn't eat for three weeks and after trying everything I can get, he started eating Brown nori sheets, he is so sweet that he will sit in my hand while I feed him and then he will use his hairy mouth to kiss my hand - I adore him! He only started eating mysis, formula one and two frozen, and pellets after more than a year in my tank, so do be careful and select a fish that is eating well.
Starry blennies are really pretty and they change colors often, like going from brown to maroon with white spots and patterns, to a light tan...
Bicolor blennies are nice also and they help with eating hair algae - well, mine does eat them on a fairly consistant basis.
I have alll the above creatures currently so if you have specific questions about any of them, just ask! :)

Oh, another one that is neat is the Yasha Hase goby with pistol shrimp. I had mine for three years and saw him only when I feed...so, for the price you pay, I would rank him on the bottom of the list.

steved13

PREMIUM
Blennielove, where did you come up with that name LOL Just teasing, Actually it's very nice and touching to see someone who really care for their creatures like you obviously do. Even without the name I could tell you really like blennies.

JandR

I have started to notice the more I go into fish stores and look online at fish the more I look more at blennies and gobies. I love them, they have geat personalities.

One of my favorite ones I have in my tank is my Diamond watchman goby, Mr. Clean. Although he picks on my scopas tang alot, he does fine with everyone else. He even shares his home with my firefish. The only complaint with him is if I get a new frag he will bury it under the sand and every day I have to blow the sand off the rocks. But he is worth it.

My new favorite fish, is a Tribal blenny (blue spot blenny) He is still in my QT tank but his personality in the fish shops tank and in the qt tank is awesome!! He was with a yellow watchman goby that was half his size and mean to him and he showed no agression so I think he is ok in that department. But his colors are gorgeous and he is just the sweetest little fish I have. I cant wait for next week when he can go in the tank.

Paragon

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. There's clearly a great deal of love for these fish varities, and I can understandly quite plainly why that is the case.

I'll take a look through each of these suggestions, and hopefully soon I'll find my new tank occupant.

Thanks,
Para

BigFish11

I love my bi-color blenny, his eyes move in different directions and he hides in rocks with his head sticking out, the only thing is he attacks me everytime i put my hand in the tank. But i over look this since i am invading his world and you gotta love the fact that i am 1,000 times bigger than he is yet he shows no fear.

OneLove87

my favorite blenny is my african midas blenny. hes awesome alot of personality. beautiful colors too, mostly yellow and pink with bright yellow streaks on his face awesome fish. i mostly feed him mysis shrimp

csmsss

Oddly enough, I have a very real soft spot for lawnmower blennies. They have eyebrows and eyelashes and remind me of tiny aquatic schnauzers. They are also diligent algae scrapers and there's nothing quite so amusing as seeing a lawnmower blenny pounding his head into a rock crevice to dig out a tiny piece of algae.

Orcrone

Our favorite, and probably smartest fish is an engineer goby (named Dilbert). He looks like an eel. He'll move sand in his mouth to clear his burrows. I put algae sheets on a clip for my foxface. He'll watch intently waiting for the foxface to look away & then he'll dart up, steal the algae & take it back to his home. I one time saw him pick up an overturned hermit crab that was blocking the entrance to one of his hiding places in his mouth and move him out of the way.

But they can get big. Mine's about 8" long.

maxx56dog

personally i enjoy the bi-color blenny he is the star of my tank. also any kind of watchman goby. just watch out for the bubble coral, it loves gobys!!! :dead: