Looking for a gadget...

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I have no clue if anyone makes such a thing, or if on can be rigged up, but I need some type of a valve/float switch.

Essentially what I want to do is set up an auto topoff that can run two tanks off one dosing pump. I would need some type of mechanism that can open and shut a valve for two seperate lines, to either run one or both lines at the same time, plus activate the dosing pump. I don't know if this would even work though.

I was thinking a float switch for each tank, with a solenoid for each that is activated by that, and at the same time whether both or one solenoid(s) are/is open turn the dosing pump on, then off when full. I can easily set up two float switches to turn the dosing pump on, I'm just unsure of the best way to direct the flow to either tank, so that I don't flood the tank that needs it.

Another thought... Is there such a thing as a float valve that can act as a float switch at the same time? That way it would open the path to allow water through, plus activate the pump to supply the water, and there would be one of these setups per tank. I would prefer something like this, just because it seems like it would be a little less technical.

BTW, my dosing pump is capable of handling high pressure applications, does not allow any back-siphon, and can easily be converted to handle 15 gpd (vs. the stock 5 gpd).

using 2 electronic gate valves I would think would be more than adding another dosing pump. Wireing them would not be that hard, both the gate valve and the pump would just be in series with a diode at each valve to keep it from triggering when the other gate valve is trigered.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I could add another dosing pump, however I will be running this with a kalk reactor. I guess I should have mentioned that...

I know that the float valves would probably be a bad idea since the kalk will mess with them.

The problem with using two dosing pumps is that rather than pushing water through the reactor (with one pump) I will be drawing water from the reactor via the pumps. There are a few problems with this. One being that I will run the risk of back-siphoning the reactor water into my resevoir, although a cheap airline check valve could fix this. The other big one is that the dosing pumps will have to be serviced a lot more often because the kalk will mess with the tubing inside that the pump uses to move water through it.