Looking at possible first aquarium. Need advice

Brandon Barbour

Hello everyone. I live in boise idaho. I used to have a coralife biocube 29 about 3 years ago. When I moved from Texas to Idaho I sold it. Had a blast running a saltwater aquarium. I am looking at getting back in to the hobby. I been doing countless hours and days and weeks of research of people's builds. Components. Live stock. Cycling. The ups and downs of companies. I been looking at the red sea max e-260. But I can't get over the price. I looked into cadlights but hear horror stories. I want to stay away from nano tanks. My local lfs has a 90 gallon cube setup for $999.99. My question and concern is would this be a good buy and or a solid investment to get started back into the hobby. The 90 cube with overflow comes with the following:
2 AI hydra 26 lights on rail mount with optional hanging kit included.
Reef dynamics skimmer
Controllable jebao powerheads rw-4
Digital thermostat
Heater
Diy Sump setup with refugiam design
Ato system..not sure of brand yet
Controllable dc return pump... not sure of brand yet.
Sits on a custom made white stand with breakaway panels and controller mounting station.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1504134167348.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504134167348.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20170830-170237.png
    Screenshot_20170830-170237.png
    821.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20170830-170229.png
    Screenshot_20170830-170229.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Pat24601

I really can't answer your question as that's just not my area of knowledge, but if you are looking to get into the hobby more affordably, have you looked into used aquariums on Craig's list? Usually those go for a fraction of the cost and are often in great shape from someone that got into the hobby and then realized it's not for them.

I only bring this up because you are an experienced reefer. I wouldn't buy a used tank with problems I didn't fully understand and I wouldn't expect a newbie to know if they were buying a bad tank. Scratches on the glass are the big thing, of course.

Brandon Barbour

Very true. I'm going to fully look at the aquarium I mentioned above on saturday. In my town there is only 2 stores selling anything related to saltwater and 1 is barely hanging on. So Craigslist and all that is dead for tanks in general

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tip:
Don't be afraid to buy a tank online (many here have bought RSM tanks online) they have great support, come right to your door.

I remember thinking when I started out... I needed to buy my new tank ( my 1st sw tank) from the local fish store, so they would offer me and help me with support. I found out most lfs employees really know little, just more then someone completely new to the hobby... and you will still be spending enough $$$ there to get all the support you need from them. Asking RS members for advise and reading post, will get you up to speed, to where you will be training the lfs employees when you talk to them :cool:

Brandon Barbour

I been researching a lot. I found a tank by rsm I love. Also found one on cadlights and on sca. I been keeping my mind open on types and brands. Not so much on new vs used or brand name. My lfs has one for sale that looks great. Just not 100 percent about the diy stand and sump setup or the equipment in the fact of is it worth my money and will it work long term or should I piece it together myself or by one of the kits or aio setup.
Side note: I did look up close at the tank. The tank is in great shape. No scratches. The return pump is a jebao dct-6000. And the ato system is a tunze.