Long term tank maitanence ???

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Reefers,

Just wondering what Is done long term with tank cleaning.

How often do you take apart you skimmer and clean?
How often are soft and rigid piping cleaned or replaced?
Wave makers?
Pumps?
Chillers?

Thanks

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi Reefers,

Just wondering what Is done long term with tank cleaning.

How often do you take apart you skimmer and clean? 6 months
How often are soft and rigid piping cleaned or replaced?6-9 months, depending on the looks, I use the clear kind
Wave makers?don't have one, powerheads every 6 months
Pumps?6 months
Chillers?yearly

Hope that helps a bit

Mr.Reeefer

thanks whippet :whip:

Just unsure on the piping, do you clean or replace? And what is the "look" I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance..

mikecc

As needed or as a preventative measure. For instance a little spot checking prior to being gone from tank for extended times (days)

Mantoots

I've had the same sponge and ceramic tubes in mine for 3months and admittadly the sponge is discoloured but I was told to leave it be, should it ever be changed??

mikecc

I've got extra sets of sponges for every thing. Remember, if you take sponge out you lose that much bacteria with it, possible mini cycle?

mikecc

When you change out a sponge that is loaded with bacteria with one that aint, you create an imbalance that may take an undetermined amount of time to regenerate that may or may not affect your tank.

Oxylebius

How often do you take apart you skimmer and clean? 6 months
How often are soft and rigid piping cleaned or replaced? as needed, ~every 6-12 months
Pumps? 6 months, vinegar soak to decalcify
Chillers? 6 months

Took out all ceramic rings and sponges, they were nitrate factories.

Mr.Reeefer

Hi all, thanks for the response,

I am not part of the RSM club so my tank works a little bit different, regarding the filter sponge, would you believe that if you changed it more frequently it wouldn't hold as much bacteria therefore your tank wouldn't possibly go through a "mini cycle" or "crash" because of you changing it.

Your other media is meant to hold the bacteria, your filter sponge is simply a filter sponge that filters the rubbish out of your water before passing through the rest of your filtration, if it is allowed to collect a large amount of good bacteria, I would say it has been allowed to collect a large amount of bad nutrients also.

This is just a thought as it sounds like the longer it is left unchanged the more biological impact it takes on your tank when you do eventually change it.

Thank you for your responses as it has educated me, let the discussion roll on I say. Maybe someone else can learn something new along the way....

Oxylebius

Sponges collect detritus, that is the point of the sponge, and if left uncleaned this detritus breaks down and causes lots of nitrates. Best to clean them out regularly.