Lights ok for my tank? How turn wet/dry into sump???

angel01051977

Ok, so I just puchased a very established (should I say coraline encrusted with no view in) tank and I am finding out a bit of the stuff is not the best. He had a wet/dry, which I hear I can just turn into a sump by removing the blue bio-balls. Is that correct? I just take them out? The wet/dry thing is a big clear box with two chambers. One chamber is filled with bioballs. The other has a cheapie Pro-clear aquatics skimmer and a heater. In my 55-gallon tank, I have 75 pounds of live rock, same for live sand and some chaeto. It has a small in-tank clear box with slots that the water flows into and then it siphons that water into a box on the back that it flows into which then takes it down into wet/dry. Is THAT a refugium or is that just an overflow box? Sorry, I'm very new to this.

THEN I have a question about my lights. It has a set-up of lights. One large casing holds two halides (the two ended kind) and two vho t12s. It has a glass panel over it. This is all connected to a ballast that sits on the floor under the tank. I've never seen anything like it in the freshwater world. Is this ok for my corals? I have a mix of hard and soft. I have duncan (but I can't find it), star polyps, kenya tree, trumpet coral, frogspawn, several types of mushrooms and a devils leather finger/hand or whatever it's callled. I also have cleaner crews and a few fishies (nemo and damsels).