Lighting help and skimmer help.. thanks!!! need to decide!

althea2you

ok.. i need to buy my lighting and i i was debating the solaris... but we are not going to go that route.. so the two i am looking at is this one

TEK LIGHT T-5, 48" Light Fixture 8 x 54W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave

ok, this is a T5 unit, 8 lamps, individual reflectors...

or this unit..

48" Current USA Outer Orbit 2x150W 10,000K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights* - AquaCave

if i do go with this one.. would i do the 150's or the 250watts?

which one id better? which one would i get the best effect with? i will have a predominantly sps tank.. with a smattering of softies, lps and clams....or clam(singular) so which would be best suited on a 90 gallon tank? thanks in advanse!

ok, on to the 2 skimmers.. which is the better? and why please!

Octopus NW-150 Needle-Wheel Protein Skimmer* - AquaCave

ASM G-1X Protein Skimmer w/ Sedra 3500 Pump (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Protein Skimmers > In-Sump > Venturi > 100-250 Gallons )

so please... any and all opinion welcome! i need to pick, so i can finally buy!!!!

rmlevasseur

Flourescents and halides are just different critters. What do you mean by better? Better for SPS? Better for cost? Better for budget? Better for viewing pleasure? Better for durability? No one light answers all the questions and that is why there are options.

As for the skimmers, I don't think there will be all that much difference between them, so I'd go with the cheaper one.

Heres the way I see the lights. If you're going to want SPS or clams I'd go with the 250's. If you're just going to have softies then I'd go 150's. I'm not sure about that T5 unit. I've heard great things about T-5's though. Most of the good things I've heard have been about with the T-5's installed in a canopy. I really haven't heard anything about T-5 fixtures. I bought a T-5 unit made by current to use as a back up and it seems really cheaply made.

I'd really consider the Solaris though as it will save you money in the future. If you go with MH's thats going to be 500 watts plus the T-5's, not to mention the heat that will be put into your tank. That might mean a chiller. If you go Solaris it's only 400 watts and no need for a chiller.

If it was me and I couldn't go with a solaris then I would build a hood and mount as many T-5's as I could in it.

althea2you

Flourescents and halides are just different critters. What do you mean by better? Better for SPS? Better for cost? Better for budget? Better for viewing pleasure? Better for durability? No one light answers all the questions and that is why there are options.

As for the skimmers, I don't think there will be all that much difference between them, so I'd go with the cheaper one.

bettar as in performance....

what bulbs are bett... the 8 t5's, or the HQI metal halide/T5 mix with lunar lights... i dont know... i guess i am leaning towards the outer orbit...

as for skimmers, i would think there would be a difference... i wanna know which performs better

althea2you

Heres the way I see the lights. If you're going to want SPS or clams I'd go with the 250's. If you're just going to have softies then I'd go 150's. I'm not sure about that T5 unit. I've heard great things about T-5's though. Most of the good things I've heard have been about with the T-5's installed in a canopy. I really haven't heard anything about T-5 fixtures. I bought a T-5 unit made by current to use as a back up and it seems really cheaply made.

I'd really consider the Solaris though as it will save you money in the future. If you go with MH's thats going to be 500 watts plus the T-5's, not to mention the heat that will be put into your tank. That might mean a chiller. If you go Solaris it's only 400 watts and no need for a chiller.

If it was me and I couldn't go with a solaris then I would build a hood and mount as many T-5's as I could in it.

i will be suspending it, there isnt a canopy...... if i got the 150's would it produse less heat than having the 250's or is it mainly the halides that produse the heat. i have the HQI's on my nano cube and there isnt a heat problem...i think thats the point of them being HQI MH. right?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
All MH bulb generate a tremendous amount of heat. They are incredibly inefficient because much of the energy output is in the form of heat.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
IMO I would suggest the Solaris as well

Skimmers I would go fro the terminator II great cost easy to use no fuss skimmer

reefman420

i would go with two 250 watt halides,not all of us arebuisness owners or self maid millionaiars so the salaris is out the window for alot of pepole,I have three 250 watt halids on my 155 bow as well as 4 6foot vho's,I live in mn so it dont get to hot hear in the summer,I have no chiller and even in winter when the heat is on in the house i stay at a consistent 79 degrees...As far as skimmers go..i went with a ureo reef 180,as well as my old hang on aqua c remora,I have the remora skimming wet and the uroe reef skimming dry.

lcstorc

If there is any way you can swing it, go with the Solaris.
I do have the Outer Orbit light in 72 inched. I went with the 150 and wished I had the 250. I really just didin't have any luck with sps and the 150w light. I don't know enought about T5s to honestly compare them.
As far as skimmers I can't help you rate them but I will say that I have 2 ASM G series skimmers 1X and 4+ and they both work great. Easy to work with and pull a ton of skimmate. Check the footprint before ordering. Some people have found out too late that they won't fit in the sump.

althea2you

thanks everyone...

solaris is defintly out of the question at this point... but who knpow down the road on a different tank whatever.. long time down the rd... but right now, they are out!

as far as the lights, i think i will go with the Geisemann.. i like the look i like the reviews i like the price(its not horrible but its not cheap) so here is the light i will get

48 inch Giesemann Infiniti 2x150W HQI + 4x54W T5 Light Fixture - Black (48in )

Jack can you get these? ill pm ya...

as for the skimmer...i think ill go with the ASM G1X....rated for a 150 gallon and it will be on my 90.

Lynn, thats for your input, i will def. go with the 250's! :D