Lighting for an Oceanic 30 gallon Reef Tank

gatorob66

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of setting up my first saltwater tank. It is a 30 gallon cube and I have decided to do a reef tank. Not sure what type of corals I want yet but I don't want to be limited. I have been told that I need a minimum of 4 24 watt t5 bulbs to allow the coral to grow. The problem is that the inside diameter width of my tank is only about 19 1/4 and I have not been able to find a 4 bulb light fixture to fit. My next thought is to go LED but i really need some help on what light to select and how to mount it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

theplantman

You could go metal halide, but fixture and bulb costs over a two year period and you might as well get LED now. Check out marine depot and bulk reef supply and look at the led pages. I would try to stick with fixtures that use 3w led's at a minimum and avoid the 1 watt fixtures. The higher end fixtures will give you the capability to replace individual LED bulbs as they finally burn up, others will require replacement of clusters or strips. I would do the research and see what you budget allows. There are also plenty of DIY options out there if you have the ability to do some soldering and wiring.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance: