Lighting assistance needed

FishTaleZ

Hi curious visitors;
I need some help.

I have a 14g Oceanic bio cube that I am attempting to re-start. I need help with the moon lights as one burned out and the other is dim. I had the unit stored for 2 1/2 years. Went on Oceanic's website which refers one to a local dealer. Spent 45 minutes trying to locate and now frustrated. Now to ask the experts .... time to maybe modify? ugh don't know what to do and would need someone to locate the LEDs or hand hold me through a mod. I've read numerous posts and don't get it... Thanks for advice and patience.

Robin

burning2nd

IMO i woulnd go buying new lights just cause the led moon lights are burnt out...

Now if you looking to get away from replacing light bulbs and having loud fixtures... Then yes... But other wise i would sit still on this one

As for repairing or replacing leds on a printed board... depending on how it is soldered... it can be really hard or not possible, Do you have a picture of the board that the leds are on?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Replacing a single bulb like that may be more trouble than its worth. What kind of lights are currently in the unit? are they the old Default PC lights or newer LED fixtures. If they are Older PC, you can look at Rapidled.com for a 14g LED Kit, which will replace the entire light fixture with high end LEDs.

Moon lights are accent lights, they arent critical to the long term survival of the fish, so if they are burnt out but the rest of the lights work well, it might not be worth messing with. I ahve a JBJ Viper 250w MH clamp on light with 2 moon lights on my 65. the moon lights are burned out. IMHO its not worth messing with.

FishTaleZ

Thanks for the responses. As long as there is no negative affect on the corals, I will leave it alone. They are the stock lights from 2008. :)

jimv

I'm not sure about the LED's on the bio cube but my LED's burned out on my RSM and they were easy to replace. I just needed to open up the canopy, remove the old LED strand and replace it with the new. It had clips to hold the LED's to the reflector. Not a big job at all.

FishTaleZ

Thanks for your response jimv. I took the easy way out and just upgraded to a JBJ ALL LED 24g bio cube. I wanted to do so much more in the 14g that it only made sense to upgrade! (I think we're all like that aren't we?) Thanks for your post.