Light Question

leng1986

hello folks,

I have some confusion here, hope that you all can correct me if i am wrong.

As we all know, light is wave, and the stronger the wave the better for the aquarium. Therefore, in order to have stronger light wave, we will require more energy sources. So this mean that a single higher watt with higher output (Energy conversion) will show better result.

sorry if it is a noob question... :(

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes that's correct as long as you're comparing the same light technology.

This means comparing PC to PC etc etc. Also you must compare the same "Color/Temp" of bulbs.

With all other things being equal you should get more "Light Energy" into the tank with a higher wattage bulb. For instance:

Double Ended Metal Halide Bulb, 14K temp

150w vs 250w

You will get noticeably more Light Energy entering the aquarium and more light energy penetrating deeper into the water column.

clownfish put it best

Intensity and Penetration
PC, T5, MH. Chances are you will use one of these systems, and when choosing it boils down to how much intensity is needed, how deep is your tank, and how much penetration is required. These three systems have different characteristics, and all can be successful with the right setup.

But intensity, wattage, and penetration are not cumulative. You can not make up for a low characteristic by just adding more bulbs with the same low characteristic. If we were all to go to a football game, and filled Death Valley Stadium to watch Clemson kick USC’s rear, there would be 100,000 of us.

If the lights were to go out, say we all took 1 watt LED flashlights out of our pockets and turned them on. There would be 100,000 watts of light in the stadium, but the field would be dark as the 1 watt lights lack the intensity and penetration to reach the field from the stands.

If 100 fans turned on 1,000 watt lights, you would be able to see the players on the field

If 10 fans turned on 100,000 watt lights you might could play the game

If one fan turned on a single 100,000 watt light, it would be very bright.

This is where LEDs and the Watts Per Gallon Rule can be very misleading.

leng1986

i see, but some say that the amount of watt consume is not equal to the amount of light energy converted (some converted into heat). From wat i know here is that we cannot compare T5 with MH, a 150w of MH is not same with 3x54w of T5HO although the wattage is almost similar. Plus, the strength of light in MH is much more stronger rite? thats y it can penetrate liquid volume easily.

correct me if i am wrong..

WVUReefer

well..there are some discussions around the forums that say T5 HOs actually produce a more intensely penetrating light than MH's..I guess we're in that area of whose expertise to we go with. I don't think there is a single definitive answer as to what is the perfect light.I can find sites which would would argue convincing points for both. I have seen photos of tanks that accomplish the same goal with different lights..It is confusing sometimes..I chalk it up to go with what you know..If you feel more comfortable with T5's over halides and you get the results you want..than stay with the T5's..I have seen posts on this forum who swear that you cannot keep a clam under anything but MHs..when I have five sitting in a tank with T5s and all are doing well...so...????

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm a huge fan of T5's and am now looking forward to watching LED come to the fore-front of reef lighting.

WVUReefer

LEDs will be nice...especially when they become common place and are cheaper..I like the idea of a single fixture of bulbs that lets you adjust color, brightness, and so on with just a switch...