Lettuce Nudibranch Breeding Sucess!

SeahorseBT

Well, my single lettuce nudi laid a coil of eggs, and I never expected them to hatch, but they did! I have had three batches, and another has just been lain.

I had them loose in my seahorse tank but recently decided to isolate them in a small frew because their hair algae food source was dwindling and the new clowns were nibbling on the small ones.Here's the best pic I could get; I have about 10 now.
Tanks096.jpg

Although I get about a hundred eggs, only about 5-10 make it to maturity, so I will isolate the eggs in the grow out tank and see the results. They have a very small larval stage, maybe 100% photosynthetic during that stage. When they reach meta, they feed off the light for about a quarter of the day. I will keep track of my progress in this thread.

vdituri

That is cool!
Congrats! Now maybe you can get your tank producing some benjamins! Or at least offsetting the maintenance costs. :D

SeahorseBT

I also lost some by putting about 10 in my other tank but my freakin yellow coris ate them!!!!!! Oh well.

SeahorseBT

Thanks Matt, are you going to send me some grassalaria? I am the kid you met at IMAC, I sent you an email too.

panmanmatt

I know who you are. Yes I will send you some soon as I get out collecting again, should be in the next couple weeks.

I got your email but the links didn't work. Been trying to catch up since I got home from IMAC that has been the delay in sending you some of the dwarf pics.

framerguy

I must say I'm impressed. I didn't know they could be tank raised and my hat is off to ya! I think aquaculture is mandatory for the future of the hobby, great job!

SeahorseBT

thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

My next goals include my clowns, I have had them for about a year now and they should breed in the next year, but that is up to the clowns. I want to try my hand at something a little more challenging.

Tanks083.jpg

SeahorseBT

Update: Well I put some bryopsis in with them instead of HA and they all flocked to it. They love the stuff! I also noticed that I have another egg coil in the grow out sys. I recently put the mother in there too but I think one of my juvis may have laid it. Now I have 2 egg coils and "gestation" is about 2 weeks and 1 week before I can see them. Hopefully I will get a better turnout this time.