Lets talk UG filters

Paul B

Lets talk about Undergravel filters, no really. Old technology? maybe but so is running water. When we got tired of going outside to pump water, we didn't stop using water . We invented faucets. OK not a great analogy. In the beginning of the aquarium hobby, which was right after WW2 we all kept goldfish and guppies. The first thing we did was to put in an undergravel filter, why? Because it worked. Originally we thought it was a mechanical filter and we loved mechanical filters because we liked to filter out particles. Water quality didn't matter as long as we could see the fish. Clear water was also essential to locate the dead fish, and we found a lot of dead fish.
Not because of the UG filter, but because we were using it wrong. We read the instructions and that was our first mistake. The people who invented and sold UG filters were not at fault, they also liked to filter things and an UG filter does that fairly well. Unfortunately, for some reason we didn't want to think of all that stuff that was filtered but still in the tank. We must have been busy watching those Ann Margaret movies.
But in our defense, freshwater systems do great with UG filters. I am not sure why but they do.
Then we all got high class and changed most of our systems to salt water. We loved our UG filters so we kept them, after all, they worked great and "filtered" out all that "stuff" that we figured we needed to filter. Then there was Bonanza on TV and we again forgot that an UG filter does not remove anything.
Boy were we stupid. Thats when 99% of us removed the UG filter. But there is something I like to call those people, and that is "wrong".
The UG "filter is fine, we were the problem. It is not a "filter" even though that is what it reads on the box, it is a water treatment system.
If we use it as a filter, our tanks will crash, guaranteed.
Robert Straughn (The Father of Salt Water fish Keeping) advocated UG filters as the greatest invention since tap water. The man was a genius but he didn't know the reason the UG worked.
The UG "System" will only work if we keep out the particles or as we like to call it "detritus" (dirt, crud, shmutz etc.) The gravel on the bottom of a tank vastly increases the real estate that bacteria can live on. Bacteria are like us, they like water front houses with continous fresh calm breezes and lots of easy to get food. Gravel is perfect for them and, like apartment buildings, they can live on top of each other without getting in each other's way.
Water with no particles flow past those bacteria, the bacteria process out what they want, which depending on the type of bacteria that could be nitrate, nitrite, ammonia
or Harvey's Brystal Cream. Too many particles and the bacteria will think they are living in a slum and the water flow along with their oxygen and food will stop.
Some bacteria are lucky and they like it when there is less oxygen, they have larger noses to collect oxygen, maybe not, I don't know, but they process nitrate in the absence of oxygen.
So some detritus in the gravel will limit oxygen and actually help those bacteria convert nitrate and detritus is going to get in there no matter what we do.
The best way to run a system like this is to take the UG filter and throw out the instructions. Then build a manifold above the water. Connect the tubes from the UG filter to the manifold and pump water into the manifold so all the tubes get a slow even flow. The water going into this manifold should first be strained to kep out those large smutz particles. Run this arrangement slow. The slower, the better.
Will this run for fifty years with no maintenance? Absolutely not. A few times a year you need to stick a canister filter of some type in there and stir up the gravel. It helps if most of the rock is not laying on the bottom. That doesn't look good anyway so figure out how to do a dynamite aquascape job.
It may get you a girlfriend, maybe not. :willis:

DaveK

Being of an age similar to Paul B's, I can relate to under gravel filters. Yes, they were an improvement over what came before. Prior to UGFs, the "theory" was that you used an outside filter using glass wool and charcoal, and "old water" was highly preferred. I suspect this came about because the charcoal and gravel in the tank ended up being the biological filtration, and changing the water even with the chlorine gassed off would still kill off the bacteria base.

Yes, UGFs do need to to be cleaned regularly. More to the point, because of their construction and placement in the tank, a UGF will always also act as a mechanical filter. This just can't be helped. Even if you set it up to be reverse flow, you still get the buildup of detritus. Then you get all the problems Paul B talks about.

The thing was that for a long time people in the hobby didn't understand anything about biological filtration. This caused the hobby to be stuck with UGFs for many years. Once biological filtration was understood, people found that other methods of filtration gave much better results. The use of trickle filters along with LR separated the biological filtration from the mechanical filtration. In addition, you also got a lot better gas exchange. UGFs and for that matter, almost any submersed filter media, if uncleaned, can be big oxygen consumers in a tank. While we consider trickle filters to be almost obsolete in a reef system, they were a vast improvement over undergravel filters.

Having used UGFs way back when and seeing the quantum improvements I got by replacing them with something better, and then repeating the process multiple times with all sorts of filtration methods, I have come to look at UGFs as something I wouldn't use in most modern aquarium configurations, FW or SW. It's kind of like seeing a car like a Model T. A classic in it's day, fun to look at, massive numbers sold, but obsolete by modern standards.

Obviously, I disagree with Paul B about UGFs. It's not that they don't work, they do, but you can do so much better today.

redsea reefer

My wife hates ugf's, but she has yet to explain why. LOL

You can always expect Paul to come up with these long stories, but who are we to oppose. I always pretty much agree with Paul on everything. Even this to a point.

In all honesty, a simple 2 in bed is as good as any filter as long as you follow the simple rules of at least half the amount of rocks per total amount of tank volume. Ex... 10 #s of rock for a 20g tank, provided its live rock.
.either way, you can't argue with Paul cause he does have the longest running tank of all, but we do have our own opinioons. Even though opinions are like @$$ holes, everyones got one..

Paul B

It's kind of like seeing a car like a Model T. A classic in it's day, fun to look at, massive numbers sold, but obsolete by modern standards.

Yes, but I want one.

Obviously, I disagree with Paul B about UGFs.

Oh no. You can't disagree with me. It is only my opinion. I am not trying to make anyone install an UG filter. I like having the oldest tank here. :LOL:

Being of an age similar to Paul B's, I can relate to under gravel filters.
So your a Geezer also?:D

It's not that they don't work, they do, but you can do so much better today.
With what? Please don't say DSB. I hope I didn't say that outloud :D
Have a great day. Now to wait for the Hurricaine.:lookaroun

Willie McDaries

if a system is working properly,I don't see how 1 can be better than any other but that is only me opinion...

I do believe the maintenance on different systems plays a major role in deciding which to use and that is why most people steer away from the UGF now,most of us want a set it and forget it system,which would be nice but it just don't happen,the newer methods are getting closer.....some of us weren't around when the UGFs were developed and didn't learn the tricks to making 'em work properly,which Paul has mastered very effectively...it's hard to argue with 40 years of success :D

I don't have a mechanical filter on my tank other than a skimmer and the occasional use of a filter sock as far as filtering particles from the water,but I have plenty of live rock and I use GFO and GAC in reactors,plus I have a de-nitrator filter which I feed vodka to....it's doing great,so I don't plan to change anything

I assume that using the UGF with reverse flow is somewhat like my system having the de-nitrator....the RUGF with the slow flow rate seems to me like it is creating an anaerobic area(and much more effectively than my de-nitrator)to help consume nitrates.... but I could be completely wrong

Paul B

most of us want a set it and forget it system,which would be nice but it just don't happen,the newer methods are getting closer

The only methods I know of are DSBs and Bare bottoms. OK shallow bottom also. They are all set and forget, but only for a while, maybe 10 years. All of our animals live longer than that so for me anyway, that is not an option. Those 10 years fly by quickly, especially when your old. :eek:

Willie McDaries

yes,my point exactly,it doesn't matter what method we use,they will all eventually need maintenance of some kind,so I don't see how 1 method can be better than another,if it works,it works,we just have to figure out what works best for our tank,no 2 tanks will respond the same no matter what we do,there will always be a variance somewhere...

I do believe the more natural approach is the best option we have even though there's nothing natural about a box full of water with fish in it,so if you live near the ocean where you can replenish natural bacteria and whatnot,you are lucky in that sense,but not so much when a hurricane is approaching,hope it doesn't hit y'all too hard Paul,good luck riding it out,if it is bad and you need anything,let us know,we'll do what we can to help

I'm not hardly as old as you,yet,but it seems the older I get,the faster it goes :D

Willie McDaries

,the newer methods are getting closer

I'm referring to the natural approach,by adding/replenishing bacteria and ocean mud/sand such as you do Paul....that might be an old method to you but it's newest to me and I like it,it makes more sense to me than any other method out there...hence the development of bottle bacteria which I highly doubt is even close to the same,but it sounds good :lol:

The only methods I know of are DSBs and Bare bottoms. OK shallow bottom also. They are all set and forget, but only for a while, maybe 10 years. All of our animals live longer than that so for me anyway, that is not an option. Those 10 years fly by quickly, especially when your old. :eek:

the bare bottom approach might be the least amount of work,I personally don't like the look but you can have a greater amount of flow without blowing sand everywhere.....I also think our tanks would fair better with more flow than we can provide and still keep water within the tank.....just my opinion though

DaveK

Yes, but I want one.

Oh no. You can't disagree with me. It is only my opinion. I am not trying to make anyone install an UG filter. I like having the oldest tank here. :LOL:

So your a Geezer also?:D

With what? Please don't say DSB. I hope I didn't say that outloud :D
Have a great day. Now to wait for the Hurricaine.:lookaroun

As for model T's, yes I might want one as a hobby car, but I sure wouldn't want to drive one on a regular basis. Now my dad, who often got drafted in to helping his dad repair and maintain the family model T, wouldn't want one under any circumstances. My dad did not enjoy grinding valves, changing the oil every couple of thousand miles, changing tires, and so on.

If I had a tank as old as your, and I had set it up with UGFs way back when, I might still be using them. For various reasons such as tank upgrades, loosing everything due to power failures, and so on, I got chances to rebuild the system. Each time, I tried to make it better than the last time. Some times the rebuild was a lot better, sometimes only different.

My preference today for a reef system is a berlin sump with a filter sock, with a large powerful skimmer. A refugium is a nice add on. Live rock at about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon, with the sandbed of your choice.

For FW planted systems, it's about 3" of substrata and a larger canister filter. I mention this only because that's where UGFs got their start.

Yea, I guess I qualify for being a "Geezer". I'm going to be 61 this year, and have had SW since I was about 15. I get a kick out of people the think they have been in the hobby a long time at 5 years or so. I only wonder how many more years I can keep this up. Sooner or later I'm going to reach a point when I will not be able to keep up with it all, and I'll make a post in the sale or trade section starting with "Free to Good Home". Hopefully that's still many years away.

I live outside Philadelphia, so I'm expecting some rain and wind from the hurricane, but nothing really bad. Seeing where you are, you may get hit worse.

lcstorc

Paul,
I just love the way you can tell a story.
Obviously it is working for you so there must be something to it, but I have to admit I don't understand. Then again I don't truly understand a lot of this stuff and have simply learned who knows what they are doing so I can follow the leader.

Willie McDaries

My preference today for a reef system is a berlin sump with a filter sock, with a large powerful skimmer. A refugium is a nice add on. Live rock at about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon, with the sandbed of your choice.

that is basically like my system,I only use the sock during,and for a few days after I blast the rock work with a powerhead to remove detritus from the rock,I don't trust a DSBs as I agree with Paul,everything in the tank needs flow in or around it,IMO,the DSB is a ticking time bomb,but I've been wrong before :D my sand bed is shallow because I like the look better than no sand at all and I can stir it occasionally to keep bad stuff from developing from lack of water flow,i also have plenty of sand sifters in there

I used a UGF in a 55g freshwater tank years ago,I also ran it with reverse flow but with a strong flow,I didn't know anything about bacteria or any of that then,my reasoning for running it in reverse was to keep food and fish waste washed out of the gravel so my canister filter could take it out of the water,I didn't like to vacuum and still don't :lol: that tank was the best freshwater tank I ever had,my guppies,mollies,and plattys were multiplying like rabbits in it,and the plants were growing like weeds as well,but it was a fluke,as I did absolutely nothing like I should have,the only thing I tested for was ammonia...I just got lucky with it,but when we moved,it can down and I never did have as much luck with it again,the tank is long gone but I still have the UGF :D

Paul B

you are lucky in that sense,but not so much when a hurricane is approaching,hope it doesn't hit y'all too hard Paul,

Willie, that hurricaine is bearing down on us. This week we also had an earthquake, but not much here.
They are talking about evacuating lower manhattan, that has never before been attempted and I don't see them doing it. There are just not enough roads but luckily it is supposed to hit on sunday and not many people live downtown, it is almost all offices. My friends on the south shore of Long Island will probably have to evacuate. Some of them are coming to my house because I am in the middle of the Island. My house and car still have damages from the hail storm a few weeks ago and one of my solar panels is broken so if I get more damage, I will just add it to that insurance claim.
Some of my friends are also hauling their boats out of the water, one of them is a 36 footer. My boat is staying where it is but I will put more fenders and lines on it. It is also insured and I don't want to take it out of the water when I still have 3 more weeks of boating left. I hope that is not a mistake.

I'm not hardly as old as you,yet,but it seems the older I get,the faster it goes
Yes you are, I am pushing 63 but look like 25 :p

My dad did not enjoy grinding valves, changing the oil every couple of thousand miles, changing tires, and so on.
I stil do that, so far no one has ever touched my car, boat or house. If I can't fix it, it is not broken. :chainsaw:
I also trust the way I fix things and would never trust a stranger to work on something that could kill me or my family. Yes, I know, I'm wierd. :ofr:

Obviously it is working for you so there must be something to it, but I have to admit I don't understand.
If we understood everything, there would be no need for forums, computers or anything else, except Supermodels, we will always need those. :thumbup:

I just love the way you can tell a story

OK I have a story, I was the electrician foreman at the NY Playboy Club, this was in the 70s when girls mostly wore clothes most of the time. Anyway I sent a guy to hook up a washing machine in a room near the girls dressing room. It was about an hour job. Two days later he is still not finished so I go looking for him.
Those Bunny suits come in two pieces, front and back and they make them right on the girl. The "naked" girl. My guy was laying on the floor watching this for 2 days.
I got mad and said what the heck are you doing. Get out of there, thats my job.:fingerx:

I still have 3 bunny suits. Unfortunately, they don't fit me anymore. :rolleyes:

I do have pictures of my wife in them, but I will keep them for myself, thank you very much.:ignore:

Oldtank001.jpg