Let's talk chillers...

LakeLivin

I have a RSM 500S (130 gallons) and with the arrival of my first summer since setting up the tank the temps are starting to creep up and hitting 82F. I have been cutting down some of the lighting to keep it from climbing higher but it's pretty clear that I will be adding a chiller to my setup.

Like everyone else I'm looking for a chiller that is efficient and as quiet as possible. Consequently, I'm looking for suggestions and opinions based on first hand experience. I would like to get one that is no bigger than necessary but big enough that it can maintain cooler temps without having to work too hard and run too often. Any all advice welcomed... Thanks!

pablomay28

Brother I have a hot running RSM 250. I have it in a dark cool family room. That being said I run my lights from 6:00pm to 2:00am. This keeps my tank cool and operating those power eating lights on off peak hours saving $$$$ I have a 1/6hp Oceanic chiller and if it needs to run it does so usually when the lights are on and also on non peak hours. San Diego peak hours are 11:00am to 6:00pm. We are expecting temperature in the 90s this week. I would recommend a chiller in the 1/4hp rated for 100 to 150 gallon or 1/2hp rated for 180 to 160 gallon. The bigger chiller would cool faster. There is roughly a $300 difference between the both. It is expensive to run these all in one aquariums with chillers. Try running your lights on off peak hours where ever you are from to keep cool and save $$$$

JKT

I have a chiller on my RSM250, but the darned thing is quite noisy. I suggest investing the money in LED lights instead of the chiller. Once I installed LEDs the tank runs a lot cooler and the chiller rarely ever comes on.