Leo's RED SEA MAX 250(D) JOURNEY!

Leo

Hey folks, After a few weeks of being on this site, I can't begin to explain, how helpful this place is! Thanks to everyone so far who has pitched in their 2 cents!
So I'll begin by saying I did have some experience going back 8 yrs.+. I owned a 120 gal. acrylic tank and I unfortunately wasn't that experienced. But maybe dumb luck, I did pretty well with it. I am NOT a technical person. and at amazed at all I am reading here. I have since pulled the few cases of my old reefing gear and have been cleaning, adjusting, calibrating etc. My old rock (quite dead now) has been sitting in the Dead sea for about four weeks. (other threads on this scenario).
This all began when I acquired an older RSM 130. All looked good until a good cleaning revealed some issues. I also started to have tank size envy as it started to look real small. I was able to return the tank. An unusual exchange ensued and amazingly less than 24 hrs. later I was the owner of a 3 year old red sea max 250! Very excited! It's finally set up with a 3 day water/ vineger bath already done. Now I'm doing several fill ups/ emptying to clean out any remaining vineger. I am also waiting for my old Spectrapure 5 stage RODI to return. Sent that in to get a clean-up. Once that returns, I'll start my first Rodi salt water mix. In the meantime, I have been trying to figure out the best scenario on setting up my chiiler and UV. Also, I figured out how to get a direct line from RODI to tank (very exciting I might add ) and whether it should go right to the back of tank with an ATO or to a small holding sump/refugium with ATO and then pump up to tank as needed. Also with ATO on top (tank) Any suggestions or comments are welcomed!

Will write back here at the next turn!
Thanks again,
leo

Attachments

• IMG_1760 (1).JPG
    IMG_1760 (1).JPG
    983.3 KB · Views: 106

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread, look forward to watching it come to life !

index.php

Leo

Hello Folks,
Can anyone tell me if they are using, or no anyone using a
Reef Octopus Classic 110 Space Saver Protein Skimmer. And or, a Eshopps 75 sump. It's definitely not the newest one. probably a couple yrs. old.

Leo

1st. Update!
Trivial maybe, but i painted the inside of my stand bright white kitchen/bath. Will make it much easier to see inside and all lights will be that much brighter in there. Remembering my last tank, years back feeling like i had my head in a cave! I will put doors back on once all installations are complete :)

Attachments

• IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 26

Leo

Wow. Thanks for asking. I had to table everything . Family issues. I had an hour here. An hour there. This was the slowest tank to ever get assembled. But I'm happy to say, that I had two full days this past weekend and with Pablo's help, I overcame a couple of hurdles. And as of last night, and many tests, I finally put in the sand, rock and salt water. By tomorrow, I'll start my testing. I still have an issue ( kinda scary) but after many fake power outages, I could not get it to get back into proper circulation. The intake will not come Down to the bottom sump fast enough. I have the return pump set at its lowest point. If it does happen, it won't overflow on top as I have the return coming in at the edge of the sump. Anyway, I'll post a photo tonight. Sorry for the long dialogue and thank you for asking!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danreef

What is that floating valve function ? Is there to stop the return pump in case of overflow or is connected to the RODI ? If it this last one, then why ?

With all that beautiful work done, is there any way you can install an external skimmer and use that section as a refugium full of macros for nutrient export.

NICE JOB !!!

Daniel

Danreef

One more......can you post pictures of the overflow or drilling installation in the tank ?

Thanks !!!

Leo

What is that floating valve function ? Is there to stop the return pump in case of overflow or is connected to the RODI ? If it this last one, then why ?

With all that beautiful work done, is there any way you can install an external skimmer and use that section as a refugium full of macros for nutrient export.

NICE JOB !!!

Daniel

NICE JOB !!!

Daniel
Hey Daniel,
The floating valve is connected straight to my RODI. It is an auto top off and on the right of the sump is an additional air valve which shuts off the water flow at a specific water level height. I had this same set up years ago for over 8 years and never had an incident. After several years of constantly adding water, I got fed up. Of course anything can happen so I'm knocking on wood as I type! :)
I'm sure many out there would be petrified of this set up, But as in the past, I always check it every day. It is a slow drip process. I have room in my sump for an additional 5-6 gallons.. If I go away for a weekend or more, I turn off the RODI valve completely, add a little extra water if necessary and then move on. Regarding a refugium, the whole center sump section will be exactly that in due time. There are still other pieces to this that will go in slowly. I'll post better photos of my overflow shortly tonight> And a big shout out to SPECTRAPURE for there excellent RODI systems! Their customer support is fantastic. And I couldn't have gotten past my nervousness and mental block without Pablomay28 here, for answering all my questions with the patience of a friend! I hope to one day be able to buy him a beer!

Leo

You are welcome brother!! Glad to see it is working now. Love the choice in skimmer.
Thanks again Pablo.The Skimmer is rated for more than my volume of water, but that's exactly how I want it!
JNS Cone S Series Needle wheel protein skimmer CO-1. Started working instantly. God know on what though?!?!?!? LOL

Danreef

Hi Leo.... I just saw you are from Long Island. Today I was in Melville and returned home in the afternoon.

Thanks for the answers. I will wait the overflow pictures !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Leo

I'm 5 minutes from Melville.! In Old Bethpage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desmond

Nice looking tank build well done. will be following this thread. I am considering sumping my tank in the future.