LED upgrade

starsky

Thought I’d just drop a few pics here of an upgrade I did this evening on my RSM130.

LED panel fitted inside the hood in the cavity where the T5’s were and wired to the stock timer and ‘blue’ switch
54b6a7636a120e818302aba0dc0534df.jpg
43525747d6ecf3f02769251df9cb36eb.jpg
3f9cde26b6b89e03d60b6b874c0201f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starsky

Cheers guys; this was actually a cheap Aquarien eco that’s designed to be hung or sit over the tank on brackets. It was a bit of a pain to wire in as I’d originally intended to use the 12v psu that runs the stock LED’s & fans as that’s 10w and the LED 7w max (according to the specs) once it was all stripped down and ballast etc removed I had to trim down the end caps on the panel as they were just a few mm too big to sit inside the original stock cavity. All done and tested put back together and refitted hood until 20mins later the lights are flashing on/off and I can hear the relay clicking. Measured the draw and it was 11.2W so had to strip it all down again and fit a dedicated psu to the relay high output. Total cost..... $40 and a lot of cursing ;-) I’m quite sure I’m not getting a full spectrum but my softies & LPS showed a marked improvement in size and polyp extension after just a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

.... Total cost..... $40 and a lot of cursing ;-)...

That does seem to be how a lot of DIY projects seem to work out. (grin) However, now you have something unique and saved some money.

For myself, I do a lot less DIY projects than I did at one time. With everything out there, it's usually easy to just buy what you need and the cost isn't any higher. However there are still some things that you can only have if you build it yourself. So I still do DIY projects for those.