LED Maximum % Power Setting

Having slowly increased, over a period of many weeks, what have you set your LED % power too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dgilbert2

Having slowly increased over a period of many weeks, what have you set your LED % power too? Please select the closest from the list in the poll.

Also, please post what made you stop at this setting and which tank and LED system you are using.

pablomay28

I have 2 kessil 360w on a kessil controller on a Red Sea Reefer 450. I had them going up to 80% after the aclimation period and the corals did not like it. Now it goes from 0% to 50% then back to 0% in a 12 hr period from 6am to 6pm and the corals are very happy.

dgilbert2

Thanks for the info pablomay28, that Kessil looks well impressive! What happened to your Corals at 80%, bleaching / shrinking?

Interestingly my LFS advised me not to take my StevesLEDs on my Red Sea C130 above 50-55%, which surprised me as I was expecting more 70-75%!?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
my LFS advised me not to take my StevesLEDs on my Red Sea C130 above 50-55%, which surprised me as I was expecting more 70-75%

Does your LFS know the Lux & Par numbers your lights are outputting?

I think that this is going to be the problem with this poll... some cheaper low end led lights would need to be set at 100% while others could never be set at above maybe 25% and lots of in between %...

all depending on how much light they put out... along with the types of corals one was keeping...

just some of my thoughts... see what others think...

pablomay28

Thanks for the info pablomay28, that Kessil looks well impressive! What happened to your Corals at 80%, bleaching / shrinking?

Interestingly my LFS advised me not to take my StevesLEDs on my Red Sea C130 above 50-55%, which surprised me as I was expecting more 70-75%!?

Corals closed up even after the aclimation period. I might go up to 60% to see how they do

DaveK

Because each system is different, and the lighting is different, answering a poll such as this has no real meaning.

I can tell you I run 4 AI hydra 52's on my 125 gal reef, and run them at 80%. "your millage may vary".

Many corals can adapt to various lighting, given time. In one system the amount of light might be high, but the corals are use to it. Placing a coral of the same species, from a dim tank, could bleach it.

You have a lot of latitude with LED lighting, and it's easy to adjust if you have too little or too much.

Keno

I build my own LED light systems. I use to own a company where I built custom LED lighting systems for SW, FW, terrariums and I even had a customer who grew African Violets and I built custom led light strips for his AV's.

With that said my SW reef led lights typically have 4 channels. One for my UV LEDs, one for my Blue and Royal Blue LEDs, one for my White LEDs and one for my red and green LEDs.

My ratios are 2 to 1 blue to white, 3 to 1 Blue to UV and just a few reds and greens, no rhyme or reason on the numbers. I use 5W LEDs. So on a typical 24" fixture, I have 20 blues/royals blue total (6 blues/14 royal blues) 10 whites, 6 UV's and 3 reds/3greens. I also use 80 degree lenses.

I keep my UV's at 100%, my blues at 60%, whites at 25% and red/greens at 20%.

I run a sunrise/sunset controller. Sunrise starts at 9:30am with UV's and blues. Whites/reds/greens at 10am with all LEDs hitting their percentage settings at noon. At 8pm all LEDs start their sunset cycle with whites/reds/greens off at 9:30pm and UV's/blues at 10pm.