LED hight from waterline?

Arebosio

Hello all!

Does anyone have experience with running AI primes or hydra 26 (or similar type puck lights) about 2 to 3 inches from the waters surface?

I'm trying to determine if this is safe for mixed reef coals. I could push the lights to 4 or 5 inches off waterline which I know would give a larger spread as they are directional. But I would like to keep them within the hood.

I know I have to dial back the intensity of them, being that close. But what should I dial them back too? 35% ?

Thanks in advance!

StirCrayzy

Welcome to RS .

I know a local friend who tested a Hydra unit in his canopy 4" off the water in a 36 X 18 X 24 " high 65g tank and he didn't like the spread because it was too close and coverage suffered. He is in process of switching to 2 Prime units to spread the pucks farther apart than the two pucks are fixed at, in the Hydra.
So I think you have some options depending what size tank you have and your mounting options.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Arebosio

Thanks. I have a rsm c250. I was able to squeeze in a AI prime in the hood with two of the t5 bulbs. But the spread on that is only the middle of the tank. I would need two more. I'll try to post pictures later.

dacianb

This is a 150W compact light above my tank (only one module above cycling at that time tank) with bare LEDs (no secondary optics) and at around 1 inch above the water level. This is the spread. (tanks is a reefer 350 - 1.2meters long)

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 21

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah you'd need more than one. I had two radions over a 120 about 8-10" up and it gave me some good spread. Good thing about the LED's is you can adjust the intensity to allow different configurations and still give the tank what it needs.

mtsully71

dang, just beat me PSU4ME, I got gen3 r adion pro xr30 over reefer 350 about 12 inches off water. I started at 20% lighting and am currently at 60%. Am in the wait and see mode for going higher.

IMG_0226.jpg

17.jpg

Last edited:

Arebosio

Thanks PSU4ME and mtsully71! Tank looks great! Does anyone know of a calculator for tank depth and led hight, to equal what the intensity should be set at?

mtsully71

that would be a PAR meter, never used one, many on here have. Everyone will tell you start low with LED's. Now....kudos to you if you want to spend the time establishing that for your tank. There are guides out there that will assist you. For example this is from another forum

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/par-requirements-159695.html

stole this from another place, but hits it on the head IMO

1. Not everyone has a par meter so its going to be hard to get a ton of info
2. Corals are affected not only by par but also wavelength, spectrum and lighting type. You would need to record all.
3. Tank nutrient/mineral parameters can also affect growth and color as well

So, at the same par someones coral can have a slightly different color hue/growth/happiness than the same coral in another persons tank under different lighting and different water params.

But you can say that at a certain par bracket corals will be generally happy of that species.

It's nice to have a par meter to test light intensity to check bulbs/LED's but know the limitations.

Have fun with this one :coffee2:

Desmond

I am about 10 inches at 70 % max on my tank running Radion Xr15 w pro

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

cracker

Thanks Arebosia for starting this thread. I was about to ask the same questions! One other thing I'd like to ask. Do the corals care about the blue light or is mostly for the observer's eye?

mtsully71

from what I have read cracker mostly for appeal. I just read about this somewhere, sorry I can't remember who did it or commented.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
On my 120 I was all out sps. I used the wide angle lenses on my radions to reduce the "spotlight" effect. I maxed out at 65% and that was two over my 120. Also supplemented with homemade t5 retro. Sps require a lot of light (and blue is very much so an important wavelength) so it does depend on what you wanna keep. You can keep all kinds of coral as long as your mindful of placement in the tank.

Hth

GregT

My first LEDs had 90d lenses (180w in the stock lighting compartment) and I'm now upgrading (tomorrow) to a mix of 90d and 120d lenses to give a better spread.