Leather corals problem

Snowman

Ok guys, I really need some help. I have 2 leather corals in my tank, a devils hand, and a yellow toadstool.
Both corals have been closed for well over a week now. I know these corals go through a shedding process where they don't open, but my question is how long does this normally take? Also do you think it's just coincidental that both are going through this at the same time? The one I'm more worried about is the toadstool, it seems to be now turning black in spots.
This is the description of my tank and params:

Red Sea Max 130d up and running for 13 months.
Salinity... 1.025
PH....8.1 - 8.2
Ammonia..... 0
Nitrite.......0
Nitrate...... 15- 20ppm
Calcium.....440
Phosphates are < .15
DKH..... 10

There doesn't seem to be any other problems I see in the tank other than the 2 leathers.
Any help or suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

brandon

Corals are very sensitive to nitrates anything above 10 ppm can be harmful. Start immediate water changes every other day till your nitrates are in control. Has anything died in your tank in the last few weeks? Did you stir up the sand bed? If you can find the source of the nitrate leak you will be much better off.

Snowman

Hi Sasquatch,
I have the 2 on opposite side of the tank. I'm running CPE and Purigen, but will go out and get some carbon today.

Brandon,
Nothing has died, and nitrates have been running steady at that number for ever, but I will try getting them down. Yes I have stirred up the sandbed, but didn't realize that would be a problem. Should I not be doing that? I'm sorry I seem so unknowing, but appreciate all the suggestions.

brandon

Yes anytime you stir up the sand bed in an area that doesn't usually get stirred up will leak nitrates into the water. Most corals are nitrate sensitive. Just trying to help. I hope your leathers snap out of it.

DaveK

... The one I'm more worried about is the toadstool, it seems to be now turning black in spots.
Nitrate...... 15- 20ppm

A soft coral with black spots or areas usually indicates a serious problem. Give the coral the smell test. Normal soft corals smell bad, if it smells really foul, most likely it's close to being dead and fouling the tank. In the later case, frag off the good areas, and try to save part of it.

A large, partial water change may help. Corals need good quality water. Your nitrate level is a little high, but shouldn't be too much of an issue with these corals.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ah don't freak dude. Small wc never hurts n these leathers can pout for a few weeks then they just get bigger until they pout again.

........ mods please turn ur heads.

yvr

Leather corals sometimes shed a waxy film to rid their surfaces of attached algae or detritus. They may remain closed for a few days before shedding this film, but it is usually a normal process. Strong water flow can help slough off the film layer.