Leather corals And Toxins

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by ChitownRomeo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ChitownRomeo

ChitownRomeo Active Member

Wow been a long time since I been on here. This cancer is kicking my butt so i haven't been posting much. But I have a question. It might be a dumb question but do leather corals excrete toxins or do they have to be close to a coral to release it. I have some ricordias that were fine until I added 2 green neon leather corals. I stopped using carbon for some dumb reason and I'm thinking since I stopped using carbon the toxins are aggravating them. Maybe I'm wrong. Haven't kept leathers in a long time.

BEFORE THE LEATHER CORALS
    [​IMG]

AFTER THE LEATHERS

[​IMG]

BigAl07 likes this.
  2. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Hope they get resolved soon.

To answer your question, yes, some leather corals do put out toxins and they can effect other corals in the system. Carbon filtration will help. Use a quality carbon and change it fairly often. It also helps if the corals are not close to each other and that the leather corals are "down wind" as far as the flow goes.

BigAl07, nanoreefing4fun and Uncle99 like this.