Leaking bulkheads

Choff

Ok guys, the bulkheads on my WC barrels are driving me crazy. I need your best tricks to stop them from leaking.

Before you ask, the gasket is on the inside of the barrel and the nut is on the outside. The nut was hand tight plus a quarter turn. From there I continued to tighten the nut, but no luck. The hole has been sanded down, there is no burring. I used blue monster on the threads.

Out of desperation I have since tried silicone even though I know that is not generally advised. Didn't work.

I'm having the issue on not just 1 barrel, but both. I'm flabbergasted. Never had this kind of an issue trying to stop a leak.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

....posted from my phone full of auto correct errors.

Haven't a clue on American products for plumbing.

Have these been running for some time and just started to leak, or new barrels?

It could be that you have caused distortion by over tightening.

Too many variables to nail the issue but.... In the past I've had casting or mold seams that were not 100% flat on the bulk head sealing surface. Also, the blue monster you used. I assuming it's the sealant not the lube, try (on a fresh bulkhead and gasket) a thin film on both side of the gasket (I've used food grade pipe dope before). If it leaks after that, it's Gods will lol. :wave:

Choff

New barrels. Yes, blue monster is a plastic non hardening thread sealant with no lube. I use it on all my threaded joints.

Choff

Like any barrel it is slightly curved, but countless people mount bulkheads to these types of barrels. I will say these are a bit more pliable than the very rigid blue barrels they are replacing. I suspect as they fill they are deforming and that is what is causing the leak/drip. We are talking about a minuscule amount of water in that it hardly wet a 1/2 of a paper towel in 24 hours, but it's a leak none the less. I switched to these barrels because they are white and I can see the water level through them and they are calibrated in 5 gal increments.

Anyway, I pulled them out, cleaned them and remounted again for the 3rd time. Didn't do anything different and the napkin under the joint is still dry after 4 hours and it's half full. It should be full up by morning and we'll see what we have then. I'll drain it and fill it one more time before I consider it production ready. If this fails, I'm just going back to my blue barrels.

slfcaptain

I just installed a bulkhead on a brute trashcan and I have a tiny leak too, similar to what you had. However, I have the nut on the inside does that matter?

steve

Choff

The most important thing is to not have the gasket on the nut side. Ideally you want the gasket on the wet side, but its not imperative. With the nut on the inside I would not use a thread filler like blue monster. In don't generally recommend Teflon tape on pvc joints as that is not what it's made for, give it a go anyway. Make sure you lightly sand the hole you cut. Any burrs can cause a drip.

Lastly take a look at your gasket. Sometimes they put a pattern on 1 side to assist with grip. Make sure that side is facing the barrel and not the bolt.

If you've done all that then I think it comes down to finding the correct tension on the nut. Too much or to little are both problematic. Start with hand tight plus a quarter to half turn with a wrench. Add another quarter turn until the drip stops.

Good luck. It's frustrating as all get out.

Well done on fixing the leak.

Happens to the best of us lol. Luckily my only bad leaks have been over a year after finishing an install and always at my sisters house and never on a clients!

Choff

Wow, never seen those before Mike. Great suggestion...next time around. :)

kyle4201

I cant trust the uniseals with my pressures. I have a 45g res. but for low pressure I would def go with them. :)

Choff

Kyle they were the drains on the barrels so pretty low pressure.

I did stop the leak thanks.