Large tank water changes

carlfike

I'm trying to decide on a water change schedule for my 300g and I was curious how you folks with larger tanks handle it. 20% a week would be a fortune in salt.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Depending on bioload 10% is common. I do 45 gal a week on my system (approximately 500 gal) n my calc n mag is still weak.

........reefers rock!

carlfike

I was thinking 30g a week. I have the bulk reef supply bulk calc and mag supplements so I'm not worried about that so much.. Where do you get your salt?

dmatt88

Local lfs. Buy the 5 gallon buckets. It'll last almost a month.

........reefers rock!

Not for nothing, but I change 55g every 3-4 months in my 240g. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I do the WC for the Trace Elements, other than that, most dose something or another in the tank. Nitrates never go above 20. If your Water Parameters are fine, why mess with them. Unless you are not dosing anything, then you might want to up that some.

dmatt88

Not for nothing, but I change 55g every 3-4 months in my 240g. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I do the WC for the Trace Elements, other than that, most dose something or another in the tank. Nitrates never go above 20. If your Water Parameters are fine, why mess with them. Unless you are not dosing anything, then you might want to up that some.

U have little sps I imagine. ?

........reefers rock!

yankieman

My system is around 250 gal and i am doing a 23 gal water change weekly which comes out to 40 to 45% monthly and since I use around 5 to 8 gals a day in top off water which I firmly believe is changing water I think my water is getting over 100% water change per month I know some dont consider top off water a water change but using say 5 gal a day for top off that in my opinion IS a water change maybe not the elements you need but it is fresh water ,,,the elements are added with the 40% water chng per month and any dosing i need to do

dmatt88

My system is around 250 gal and i am doing a 23 gal water change weekly which comes out to 40 to 45% monthly and since I use around 5 to 8 gals a day in top off water which I firmly believe is changing water I think my water is getting over 100% water change per month I know some dont consider top off water a water change but using say 5 gal a day for top off that in my opinion IS a water change maybe not the elements you need but it is fresh water ,,,

U dose buddy?

........reefers rock!

yankieman

I edidted the last post,, but as far as dosing is concerned the elements do not "evaporate" either so even though your adding frsh top off which is fresh water you wont need to add elements just as you dont need to add salt with top off,, until needed

You may be adding FW to your system, but evaporating water does not take Nitrates and other things with it. On the other hand, if they don't get high enough to warrant an export than its not necessary.

yankieman

my nitates are 0 all the time , but with that said adding fresh water should still dilute any nitrates

yankieman

since I am talking large amount of evaporation I think that makes a BIG difference compared to say a small system,,,

jpsika08

As I'm doing the ZeoVit program and it's a daily based dosage of trace elements among other stuff I think I don't have too much trouble, though, I wouldn't advice on not doing a water change for a big tank at least a month.

yankieman

As I'm doing the ZeoVit program and it's a daily based dosage of trace elements among other stuff I think I don't have too much trouble, though, I wouldn't advice on not doing a water change for a big tank at least a month.

I definatly aggree Juan , IF say you had a very restrictive budget MHO would be at least a 10% monthly water chng