Kevin's 80 gallon Mixed Reef/Breeding

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well my original plan to make it a pure breeding tank is slowly changing into a mixed reef tank, all thanks to the huge corals shipment in my local LFS for the last few months and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon :banghead:

9022333491_e2b6e8ae86_b.jpg

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Mine is all custom made Josh. Over here its pretty cheap with the whole thing coming in at USD90 (main tank, sump and metal stand)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Wow, that's nice and cheap!

Yea Bryan, we're pretty lucky to get cheap corals and fish as well since we're surrounded by them lol. Here's a chalice that I bought, couple of days back.

9030860878_d50ae954d2_c.jpg

and a bubble coral

9030893386_ba89597ea4_c.jpg

finger leather coral

9028681337_52e114539e_c.jpg

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Words fail how awesome that chalice is!! :drooool: gotta love an lfs that just can't have you say no :p

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks mate :)

Here are more pics shot this morning.

Another chalice

9030944992_aeeda26409_c.jpg

Blue mushroom

9030985902_586101684a_c.jpg

Red green mushrooms

9030882624_5761bfc34e_c.jpg

Tonga mushrooms

9030956560_f8532ed235_c.jpg

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks RA and that is my biggest issue. Every time I go to my LFS, I'll just go and switch off all the whites leaving the blues on all their frag tanks. Then I'll run around like a little kid picking my "toys" hahaha

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Beautiful chalices! Chalices hate me but I can grow the hardest sps, I don't get it!!!!!

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Beautiful chalices! Chalices hate me but I can grow the hardest sps, I don't get it!!!!!

Thanks Bryan :) From what I read, chalices don't quite like nutrient free water so maybe that's the reason.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Just a small update. My 2nd chalice has improved on its colors since I brought it back last week. The greens are starting to surface and its no longer brownish. Here it is under blues :)

9088558511_6d80904d60_b.jpg

Full tank shot

[video=youtube;NFWm5go6Qus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWm5go6Qus[/video]

Last edited:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Hammer coral

[video=youtube;miLv7AVfemw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miLv7AVfemw[/video]

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Love the chalice !!!

chalices don't quite like nutrient free water so maybe that's the reason.

I bet this is right... I have struggled with the harder sps corals, but have had good luck with chalices :)