Kev - Pods vs Filter Socks

ziggy

Hi Kev - Hoping to pull the trigger on the e series 260 very shortly when available in USA... but wonder what your position/recommendation is on maintaining a healthy population of Pods but still having a full, closed loop water filtration system? I'm assuming any mechanical filtration "road block" i.e. filter socks or floss will break that loop and prevent pod migration.

What are your thoughts on a breeding population either in the refugium rubble pile that then allows the juvenile pods to enter the DT? Or a breeding population in the DT where some pods enter the water column and make it into the sump and refuge?

For an Max e-series 260, how would you configure the tank (if it were yours. no PC response please) to sustain a breeding pod population?

It would still be my intention to add new pods once a month for about 6 months at which time the colony should be able to sustain itself... I would think

Thx for all your responses on this forum... I always look forward to reading your posts

Zig

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Ziggy, Assuming your going with the sump upgrade option the important factor is getting pods to the aquarium.

The reality is if you start to cultivate in the sump they only have to make their way through the return pump and pipework which I'm sure they will, yes you'll get some that will cycle through and trapped in the mesh bags but this is likely to be the same in any sump based system with mechanical filtration present.