HELP! Kenya tree not opening!

Pomacanthidae

my kenya tree has been not opening for no apparent reason, and i have it in good flow and lighting. Any ideas?

Last edited:

DaveK

How long have you had the coral?
How long has it been not opening?
How long have you had the tank set up?
What are your water parameters? Please post exact parameters for what you tested. Statements like "all parameters are good" do not convey any information at all. What you might see as good might indicate a problem to someone else.

Pomacanthidae

I will hopefully have test results today. i've had the coral for a week and a half, it hasn't opened in 4 days, and my tank has been up for 8 months, 5 in my custody.

Uncle99

IN cases where all 8 parameters are on point and stable for more than 3 months after fully cycling, lighting in the correct spectrum and intensity, corals extend fully in less than 24 hours in virtually all cases.

If a coral does not open in these conditions, it is either damaged, or one or more parameters is off.

You will need to post current parameters before any if us can provide some insight.

Pomacanthidae

nitrates: 0
ammonia: 0
phosphates: 0
calcium: 370
alkalinity: 7.8
salinity: 1.024

parts of the kenya tree are starting to open

DaveK

If that is case, just leave everything alone. To grow. most soft corals need to retract for a few days. They look terrible during this time. If in doubt, you can give the coral the smell test. A healthy soft coral will smell bad, but one that is decaying will smell really rank and foul.

Uncle99

In the long term, N and P are too low for softy/lps
N should be 3-5ppm, max of 10 ppm
P should be 0.04-0.07, max of .1
Corals need some nutrients to survive