kenandmoose's 40 gallon breeder

I have been interested in starting a saltwater tank for years. Well this was the year for it I guess. I started with a 40 breeder and have had it up and running now for about 2 and a half months and it seems to be doing well. The tank has cycled once and seems to be pretty stable. I have about 3 pounds per gallon of live rock and a somewhat sallow sand bed.....something I'm going to work on changing. I have a fairly large clean up crew working and a few fish. I have added some corals but nothing to crazy yet. I have been reading that a tank may cycle a few times in the first few months. I have about 325w of led power on top of the tank that I just added and a protien skimmer I just added. I have been running a hob filter but from what I'm reading I will be removing it tonight for good. I seem to be drawn to LPS there are so many things to choose from with this hobby its crazy. I have questions and I'm learning a ton. Thanks to all of you expert reefers that share your info. Its a huge help to us newbs who are clueless when we start lol.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
re: kenandmoose's 40 gallon breeder

Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Snid

Welcome Aboard, Matey! :)

Try to get to 5 posts so we can see some pics! With 3 lbs. of LR per gallon, I'd be very interested in seeing your aquascaping as that is a little more than most tend to go with. It isn't wrong necessarily, just not the norm. Seeing it will help confirm any doubts.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

Hi Ken :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Hope you get that 5th post & share some pictures of your tank with us :D
I'd love to know what fish you have :fishy::fishy::fishy:
Feel right at home here :chair: & ask any questions on your mind.
VERY BEST WISHES for Your FISHES.....:biker

Creekview

With 3 lbs. of LR per gallon, I'd be very interested in seeing your aquascaping as that is a little more than most tend to go with. It isn't wrong necessarily, just not the norm. Seeing it will help confirm any doubts.

Here's 3lbs per gallon in a 55. I just added 20lbs to it.

3EFBA364-8181-4854-9CC4-CA92A44CBAF8_zpsd2ew6dh4.jpg

Ill post a picture of it as soon as possible. I need to reposition the rock. It needs some work in that department but with the 3 new dry rocks I just added it should be close to 3 ppg.

ada3yteq.jpg

And here are some new corals I just added
jevajuba.jpg
this is my first hammer
y3e8ytep.jpg
this is my first brain. The picture quality isnt the best sorry about that but there it is

Snid

That looks pretty good. ;)

My only concern, which may or may not be an issue, would be the footprint of the rocks on the sand. Ideally you want a decent amount of flow around the base of the rocks or they will accumulate detritus around them. From what I can tell, yours looks like it might be A.O.K. though. I used to have my aquascaping with rocks up next to the side like yours, but I re-did mine so that the front and sides were clear, which really helped open up flow and viewing both. Easier to clean too. Not saying you should do the same now, just planting seeds in your brain in case one day comes and you do find yourself redoing things. ;)

I have actually been looking at it and thinking about rearranging it. I have a little over 2000gph flow per side on a wave maker with hydor pumps. I would like to add more sand and try to have more space under the rock for better flow and sand suface area exposure. Just need some time to work with it and have been really busy. The hard part is space in that little area.
I have a hydor 1500 on each side blowing across the rocks and a 600 on each side blow behind/ under the rocks in the back. If I had been thinking when I set this tank up I would have used the vortec pumps and controls. Less space taken up in the tank with the vortecs. I guess we learn as we go. For now it works and ill make some adjustments and post mor pictures when im done with the rock scaping. Thanks for all the imput

I bought these cloves and with them I got a hitchhiker coral or algae of some sort. Just curious if any one has any idea what it maybe. Here are a couple of pictures. They arent super clear but its all I had time to get last night. It is a cool florescent neon green under my blues. It glows so bright it almost looks one of those glow sticks.
Thanks for looking
f4347f1d2ffc417b92a2badd85610efb.jpg
0ba40dd7031d1e54113a3e94a659b683.jpg
81213cdf01120fc506b5a7b7b94cc716.jpg
148e7cfc4904abe106254c9221b18a1a.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Its hard and thin it almost feels like sand paper. I have mushrooms and my girlfriend had a chalis and its neither of those. Ill try to get some better pictures of it and post them. The way it sits in the tank now its hard to see if its growing. It had a brown or black spot on it about the size of a dime when I got it and that has seemed to shrink a little.
It doesn't seem to have any eyes or a mouth. Its not like any other coral I have seen thats why im asking :cool:

So after moving rock and stirring up the tank....pissing everything. off.....I am having a algea bloom. It looks like diatom to me but im not sure. The water is testing out good except for ph and kh are a little low.

Po 0
Cal 440
Nitrate 0
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Kh 7
Ph 8.1

Im guessing its from moving the rock but im not sure. I know why my kh and ph are low. I started using rodi water as top off and didnt think about the ph and kh. Here are a few pictures. My protien skimmer is going crazy also.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

Hi Kenandmoose :wave:
Hope the corals are back to happy & opening since your last post :fishy:
You can have one of the mods to re-name this thread since you are journaling your tank here...It will be easier to spot & you can also link it to your name as your reef chronicle. Look forward to more updates :thumbup:

Thanks I think I have the cyano bloom under control now and all of my corals seem to be happy after I backed my lights way down. I guys I was cooking them with the new lights :-/. I purchased a few new tank members including a clown with a BTA....the clown proptly forgot the nem after they hit the tank. A super nice torch coral, a couple more maxi mini's.....oove those nem....look really nice under the blues. A nem crab, a monti cap frag, and another sps that is pink with electric blue dots all over it. I cant rmember what he called it but its an incrusting coral. Ill post some pictures of the tank soon.