Karma? Is this still a feature with the new software?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also keep in mind that karma or reputation is different from clicking on "Like". To give karma you need to click on the star at the bottom left of the post, and then on the pop up, Approve or Disapprove and optionally give a reason.

Personally I add my name to the reason, so they know who it's from, but you don't need to. Also, I don't give bad karma or disapprove. I believe it to be counter productive, and really poor form.

Very well put Dave :) I couldn't agree more.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I typically agree with u both, however I see the occasional need for negative karma. Last time I thought that the ban stick was used. Who'd have guessed that? :D

........uh oh rob has tapatalk.

DaveK

I typically agree with u both, however I see the occasional need for negative karma. Last time I thought that the ban stick was used. Who'd have guessed that? :D

The reason I don't give negative karma or reputation is that it's way too easy to get into a negative "war". Yes, in time the staff will put a stop to it, but the damage and hurt feelings are already done.

If the post is that bad, and by that I mean breaks the RS rules about personal attacks, or is an obvious spam message, etcetera then I report the post by clicking on the triangle with the ! at the lower left of the post. If it's that bad, it will be removed or edited.

If it's a post where I feel the information is really bad, to the point where someone could wipe out their reef or be dangerous, then I'll reply with a quote and explain why.

As for banning people, if you disagree with who got banned, then it should be a private message to the forum management. Yea, sometimes someone does need to get banned.

dmatt88

I hear ya Dave. Good thought on the karma war buddy never came to mind. As for banned folks I'm glad they're gone. Al n Steve respond really quick.

steved13

PREMIUM
I hear ya Dave. Good thought on the karma war buddy never came to mind. As for banned folks I'm glad they're gone. Al n Steve respond really quick.

Thank goodness, for a second there I thought you wanted that guy back LOL

steved13

PREMIUM
To DaveK's point a member reported a post and brought it to our attention. It's a good system.

Doogle

Lol

I have like 10 bad karmas from one bad post. It wasn't attacking or flaming but it was out of line and unhelpful, so I know people use it. It's alright though - I have too, and I regret it. There's no point and it hurts people and it's a permanent reminder that people have a problem with you for whatever reason and it's usually something you can take care of on the thread and should be forgiven and forgotten anyway. Live and learn. Positive from here on I say. After all were here to learn and help others. Just my opine no need to give me a star for it.

dmatt88

Lol

I have like 10 bad karmas from one bad post. It wasn't attacking or flaming but it was out of line and unhelpful, so I know people use it. It's alright though - I have too, and I regret it. There's no point and it hurts people and it's a permanent reminder that people have a problem with you for whatever reason and it's usually something you can take care of on the thread and should be forgiven and forgotten anyway. Live and learn. Positive from here on I say. After all were here to learn and help others. Just my opine no need to give me a star for it.

Good point. Thanks.

Doogle

Good point. Thanks.

Btw Matt I wasn't directing that towards you, I just used your comment because it was on the topic.

I ticked off a lot of people somewhere else mentioning how flawed the karma thingy is.
Unless I'm off track-it only takes a few people who are let's say 'buds' to go around giving it to the same few members until a member of a year or so and has 1000+ posts to have almost as many "stars or points'' as someone who has 20,000 posts who isn't in the 'circle of trust' so to speak. I see there are measures to help avoid this so +1 for trying. Anyway we all know who we are on here so everyone gets points from me, I just don't physically hit the button and didn't even know until recently how to do it. Nothing feels as good as a pm saying thanks. To all who have taken time to help me, thank you. You know who you are!

dmatt88

Btw Matt I wasn't directing that towards you, I just used your comment because it was on the topic.

I ticked off a lot of people somewhere else mentioning how flawed the karma thingy is.
Unless I'm off track-it only takes a few people who are let's say 'buds' to go around giving it to the same few members until a member of a year or so and has 1000+ posts to have almost as many "stars or points'' as someone who has 20,000 posts who isn't in the 'circle of trust' so to speak. I see there are measures to help avoid this so +1 for trying. Anyway we all know who we are on here so everyone gets points from me, I just don't physically hit the button and didn't even know until recently how to do it. Nothing feels as good as a pm saying thanks. To all who have taken time to help me, thank you. You know who you are!

I didn't take it toward me buddy but thanks for a good reminder. Truth.

DaveK

To DaveK's point a member reported a post and brought it to our attention. It's a good system.

Who got banned?

While I'm not a moderator here, I have moderated other forums.

Keep in mind that when you moderate a forum like this, your trying to get compliance with the rules, rather than just banning people. Often editing or removing the offending post, and a private message to the op is all you need. Only if you have a repeat offended or an obvious troll do you need to ban someone.

steved13

PREMIUM
While I'm not a moderator here, I have moderated other forums.

Keep in mind that when you moderate a forum like this, your trying to get compliance with the rules, rather than just banning people. Often editing or removing the offending post, and a private message to the op is all you need. Only if you have a repeat offended or an obvious troll do you need to ban someone.

DaveK, believe me, banning is always a last resort here, if we ban someone you can rest assured they gave us no other choice.

Doogle

Wow...I just looked and I got a bad rep from someone who doesn't think an air bubbler will help with gas exchange! Wow... I suppose an ato, skimmer,sump, doesn't help either if you have glass tops there are always ways around this. Besides with the lights we have nowadays does it matter if you have a splash shield on your light or on your tank if you work around the gas exchange issue ( that have plenty of ways to get around it ) because last I checked a cover on the tank or on the light still cuts down PAR the same , and like I said plenty of people have covered tanks and have zero issues because of it.
I'd thought I would share it. Yes I disagree and I think most would also...
Can these be looked at before they effect our stats?
Just asking i've thought about this for half a day before I responded...

Regardless,
Happy independence day RS!