just starting out with my reef tank

babybads

hey there i'm just starting my reef tank which has been set up for about 3 weeks or so.. Its a 90 gal with about 60lbs of live rock and some live corals that came with the rock. I am running a Fluval FX 5 with a protein skimmer which was just added a couple of days ago. all the corals seem to be doing okay except for what I was told was a leather coral... today it gave off a "mist" and shriveled up..what could cause this??

Luukosian

Leathers will shrivel up and shrink for several days just part of what they do....that being said the general consensus is not to run canister filters on reef tanks and in a newer tank there could be other issues. I'm sure others will chime in but just do as much reading as you can on reef tanks and you'll learn a lot.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! The above is correct, leather corals can sulk for days at a time for apparently no reason. Give it some time.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)