jupiter's reef diary

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
Yikes! Hope the rest of the Purple Queens aren't too stressed! Not good for new tank mates that's for sure. Good luck!

Just as a follow up: I came in thismorning and found the truncated anthias haging out with 3 queens. I don't know if the 4th one is alive but at least I know 3 are there. The aggression is gone (as I was sure it would be) so it might be interesting to see if the truncated becomes submissive to the male queeens (that sounds weird :D ). The truncated is a female (her male died in the transistion). Anyway, when I went to feed the tank the queens were scared of the food and hid. It tok 2 weeks to get the truncated to swim openly so I'm not worried about the queens, at least not for another week or so.

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
Good report!

An even better report: the fourth one was in the group briefly before hiding. I tried to get a shot but they hid.

Here is a shot of the three with the truncated girl. (If you say this is a great pic I know you're lying, Craigy ;) )
776queenanthias.jpg

Originally posted by jupiter
An even better report: the fourth one was in the group briefly before hiding. I tried to get a shot but they hid.

Found one on the floor this afternoon. That leaves 3. I'm not happy.

TDEVIL

sorry to here that, Jupiter

i hope the others stay healthy, those are sweet looking anthias's

Jay

Well I think they are afraid of the light. I saw them pretty happy this morning before the MH went on but they are not very visible at mid-day. Since I am losing my corals already I might cut the light and see if they are more active. This means losing the MH and just using VHO. I'm okay with that. I can probably get better colours with the VHO (more blues and violets). MH is too expensive to just swap colours back and forth. If I ever get SPS I can always pop the MH back in again (considering I don't even have a hood right now, anyway). Or I might not even bother with SPS (which I still don't like, btw) and keep colourful mushrooms or something.

How Dreadful!

I pulled my bristleworm from the old sand and put it in the main tank because I decided I wanted to keep it rather than risking it being killed when I gave the sand away. To my horror I just found it torn to pieces! Maybe the powerhead killed it, maybe the fishes.

On a lighter note, I added a new truncated anthias to the tank. It is quite a bit larger than the current one so all I see is the little one with its fins up in display and the big one looking at it as if to say, "Whatever."

OMG! He's still alive!

Originally posted by jupiter
Last night when I went to collect the remaining two anthias and put them in the tank I only found one. I think I may have thrown one of the anthias into the bucket with the anemone thinking it was a pink clown. I doubt it and more than likely the anthias sought shelter near the carpet and GULP! Anyway, I won't have that problem again.

Well I went to top off the tank. I dumped about 5 gallons of fresh water down the overflow (to mix in the sump before it goes back to the tank) and who do I see in the sump? The "dead" anthias. But he wasn't dead! In my sump I have 2 inlets for the circulatory pumps. Only one is being used so the other is capped on the outside. But there is about 5 inches of "tube" outside of the sump that a fish could swim in. I thought this might be possible but thought it wasn't likely. Well, it is likely and it is possible and this is where the anthias lives. Now I have to cap this and pull the fish out of the sump. I hope he will be okay with the others.

BTW, the queens are even more active now. I see them about 50% of the time.

The "new found" anthias is not doing well. He was a dominant male before he was lost. Now he is no longer dominant and since he became a male, he is getting beat up - not just chased, but beat up. I'mnot sure how to resolve this short of dismantling the tank.

Some good news, I added 5 green chromis to the tank. Within seconds they began schooling with the anthias. Anthias go left, chromis follow - anthias go right, the chromis follow. It was beautiful to see all of the fishes (both groups of anthias + chromis) schooled together for a brief moment. There was blue-green, orange and purple all together and I couldn't stop smiling. Not too long ago the manager at the LFS told me that chromis help other fishes to school (it makes them feel more comfortable). Well today I got to see how powerful they are.