jupiter's reef diary

Originally posted by ReefLady
What are the plans for the tank?

I am going to do with this tank what I had intended to do last year. I am going to convert it to SPS with anthias.

I spent the last 2 weeks emptying the tank of all the sand. I am donating it to local Toronto people who want to come and pick it up. I thought that might be nicer than selling it for $2 a lb or something like I see on some buy/sell boards.

I went to the LFS today and saw RBTAs. I was tempted to buy one but I wasn't sure if I wanted it. I find carpet anemones much nicer looking.

I wanted to trade away my snowflake eel and my ghost eel (yes, I found another one) but they wouldn't take them. They have too many eels in stock right now. I will hit another LFS tomorrow.

Currently, the fishes include:
3 x saddle back clowns
3 x pink skunks
1 x ghost eel
1 x snowflake
2 x truncated anthias

All of the other fishes disappeared into god knows where. I did find a nice set of purple tang bones by the carpet anemone once. Hmm, go figure.

Ultimately, I will replace the eels and possibly the clowns with strictly anthias. The tank is already overstocked as it is. What ends up happening is I go searching for a fish (say, a ghost eel) and instead I find another similar fish (say, a snowflake eel) and buy it. Then, I find the first fish later on and buy it. I did this with the clowns as well.

I think I will go for anthias and a pair of ocellaris.

The corals include:
a VERY large hammer
a small hammer coral (can't remember if it's a piece of the large hammer or a separate purchase)
several frags of a branching frogspawn (that I broke up and spead around)
a meat coral

Other things I can't remember.

Most of this will go "bye-bye". I'm not a fan of SPS tanks (I've told you many times I don't find them rather ugly) but anthias like them and I like anthias. So I don't expect to be searching for "purple monster" or whatever ;)

BTW, the links didn't work before because I switched the site up. The way the site is now is going to be the new "look" of the site. Plain, simple, effective (and easy to update). Of course, I haven't got around to filling in the info yet. In fact, the site has nothing on it right now :eek:

Opinions?

Question 1:

Currently I have 3 anemones:
1) BTA
2) green carpet
3) blue carpet

Should I trade in these anemones for anthias (or credit) or do you think I should keep them? I have never lost anthias to the anemones and the green one is very nice but they do take up a lot of swimming space. BTW, losing the anemones means losing the clowns (6 of them), as well. I'll replace them with 2 ocellaris clowns.

Question 2:

I have a hammer coral that I think is the oldest or second oldest coral in the tank. It dates back to the 90's. It is really big; about 1 foot skeleton. Because of this, it also takes up a lot of "coral space". Should I trade it in for credit, as well?

I know none of these are fair questions but I don't know what to do. I don't want to end up regretting the choice and I am running out of time before the corals and anemones have to go back into the tank.

Thanks.

BTW, my web-site is getting graphic intense. I have cable so the load ups are fast. I don't know how bad it will be for dial-up. I still need to synchronize the pics on the intro page.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
They all are very, very nice animals.... you should think long and hard before you get rid of them.

With that said.... You should definately sell me your blue carpet anenome.... seriously. :)

If you lived closer I would give you the anemone for free. I am actually going to give it away when I trade in the green anemone. It isn't as nice as it once was.

Anyway, I decided last night that I am going to trade way the anemones and the 6 clowns. This afternoon, I will check to see if they will take them and if they will, I will deliver them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get back enough to buy at least three anthias. That way I won't really lose anything.

I'm keeping the hammer.

Originally posted by jupiter
If you lived closer I would give you the anemone for free. I am actually going to give it away when I trade in the green anemone. It isn't as nice as it once was.

Anyway, I decided last night that I am going to trade way the anemones and the 6 clowns. This afternoon, I will check to see if they will take them and if they will, I will deliver them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get back enough to buy at least three anthias. That way I won't really lose anything.

I'm keeping the hammer.

Today I traded away all 6 clowns, the green carpet and the BTA, plus the blue anemone which I tossed in for free to the LFS. I also traded in both of my sea cucumbers since I don't have sand anymore.

Last night when I went to collect the remaining two anthias and put them in the tank I only found one. I think I may have thrown one of the anthias into the bucket with the anemone thinking it was a pink clown. I doubt it and more than likely the anthias sought shelter near the carpet and GULP! Anyway, I won't have that problem again.

So now I have 1 fish, a cleaner shrimp, and a few LPS corals, and a s**t-load of mushrooms that grow like a weed and I can't seem to kill.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks anyways Jupiter :). I'm sure the LFS was thrilled!!

Show us a few pictures soon!

Well, today I added 5 purple queen anthias to the tank (no, I didn't quarantine). They are quite pretty. I will take pics as soon as they aclimate. I hope they do well with the lone truncate anthias I have in there.

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
Where dem pics? Congrats on the new additions!

I would love to give pics but the resident truncated anthias keeps the queens in hiding. One of them died and I can only see one hiding in the rocks. Who knows how many are left. When I get time next week I will yank out all the rock (again) catch the li'l bast@rd and my queens will be free to swim again. Then you will see some pics because the purple queens are truly beautiful; best fish I've ever had.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by jupiter
the resident truncated anthias keeps the queens in hiding. One of them died and I can only see one hiding in the rocks. Who knows how many are left . . . you will see some pics because the purple queens are truly beautiful; best fish I've ever had.

Yikes! Hope the rest of the Purple Queens aren't too stressed! Not good for new tank mates that's for sure. Good luck!