Juan's Picotope 3G tank journey

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Juan - that's the correct Nano Mag - you'll like it! A lot of us it on our larger tanks - it does an excellent job for its tiny size. A 50 watt heater may give you some large temperature swings in a tank that small - IMO a 10 watt would be sufficient (and smaller).

jpsika08

Thank you ReeferMan! Updates soon, (once the cycle has finished and I begin to introduce inhabitants) :)

I like the scape i would suggest getting a aquaclear 50 and mod it to a refugium. If u go to nano-reef.com and go to the pico reef forum there is a picotope guide its really helpful in getting this little tanks to run well and lots of info.

Shamus

Juan - I'm following along too! I've been toying with the idea of setting up a pico in the office. Guess I can use you as a guinea pig (hope you don't mind :) )

jpsika08

LOL, not at all Steve (guinea PIG I shall be), I'll keep posting pictures of updates once I have the system cycled (not too much to see right now)

jpsika08

Quick update, today I checked water parameters after 12 days of cycling.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8
Salinity 1.025
Temp 72F <- Will get a heater tomorrow.

I used one of my cured Marco Rocks for the tank and the other piece I have was from my RSM250 so it can seed the base rock.

Here is a FTS from today, I removed the TALES FROM THE CRYPT rock scape and chose to go more minimalistic, as you can see I have only one base rock and the rear rock (temporarily one) is from the 3 month RSM250:
PicoFTS-100910.jpg

The first member of the nano tank I was thinking of is a Yellow Watchman Goby Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Watchman Goby

When should I be able to place fish in?

jpsika08

Brought in my first tank member, a Kaudern Cardinal, really nice, it's small right now, I think that someday he can migrate to the bigger tank, but for now, the Picotope will be his home.

Also, I placed in the tank one turbo from the RSM250, he went in commando style, his mission, reconnaissance, conclusion ... he survived :D

Here is my new member, now named Stripes:
Stripes.jpg