Juan's Picotope 3G tank journey

jpsika08

Hello all, not new to RS but new to Nano Reef community :D, I got already an RSM250 (Tank thread below) with little over 2 months old.

As I'm already a reef-aholic I bought today my JBJ Picotope 3G tank, I will be using new rocks (4 pounds) live sand (5 pounds) and as I'm doing a water change today to my RSM250 DT I will be using the "dirty" water for this new tank (gaining some bacteria).

The main idea is to have a nano reef system, some corals, maybe a small goby or who knows what other nano thing I can put into here; I still have ahead my 1 month cycle.

I will take some pictures tonight after installing everything.

Happy Reefing :thumbup:

jpsika08

LOL thank you Tammy, my next tank introduction will begin with, "Hi, my name is Juan and I'm a reef-aholic" LOL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Water changes of 20% on my little 6G are soooooo easy! I may have exaggerated a bit - I should have said a turkey baster for a water change on a 3G tank LOL!

kyley

:) Very cool - you're keeping yourself busy with the tanks! You should do something different with this one - i.e. something you can't have in the 250. Maybe make it a mantis tank or something? Just a thought. I'd kind of like to have a little tank like that on my desk in my office... Turkey baster water changes, gotta love that! Enjoy,
--Kyle

jpsika08

Thank you all! Terry, got myself a turkey blaster ready, and I think it's still too much, eyedropper please :)

Well took me awhile (not yesterday as promised) to take some pictures. The LFS changed the light and now cycling has began.

I brought two new live rocks pieces and live sand form the LFS and took one rock form the main tank, also, all the water being used here is from the water change I did yesterday to the 250, of course, the disposed water not the new one, I even cleaned the DT sponges in this water so it's full of bacteria.

Well, enough of the chit chat, here's the pictures (you love the pictures :))

1. New tank coming out of the box.
Picotope3g-1.jpg

Picotope3G-2.jpg

Picotope3g-3.jpg

2. Water leakage test:
Picotope3G-4.jpg

3. And the rockscaping (looks kinda of "Lord of the rings" type of scape):
Picotope3G-6.jpg

Picotope3G-5.jpg

Picotope3G-7.jpg

4. And a top disposition of the tank, I left lots of sandbed (ironic):
Picotope3G-8.jpg

I will keep posting when something new happens, for example, I placed the tank where my wife used to have pictures in our room, she's on a one week trip and I don't know what her reaction will be, type of update :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I like the rockscape Juan - very nice! A Nano Mag glass scraper would be great for that tank.

kyley

Looking good! Will it have any kind of small powerhead for flow? I guess no skimmer? Just curious - I have no idea what's needed for these little tanks... Take care,
--Kyle

jpsika08

Thank you all for the kind compliments.

Kyle, there is a nano skimming available now (upgrades coming soon); regarding the powerhead I want to first review how much current does this filter generate, if is too low I will think of placing one :)

The problem I have is with low temperature, does someone knows of a really small heater?