Juan's Monster FOWLR- 750Gallon DT - 1,000+ System

jpsika08

Acrylic Backing (Or Fronting?) lol.

Here is a small but new update for the tank.

As I couldn't paint the background of the tank due to the overflow, vinyl sticker was out of the question as well, my only possible solution was the use of acrylic. What I did was that instead of putting it on the glass behind the DT's wall, I placed it over it (front side).

As you all may be aware, acrylic and glass can't be siliconed together, so, I approach the problem in a different manner.

Here is the how the tank looks with the acrylic on place.

And this is how I managed for the acrylic to stay in place:

Basically I did some small acrylic holders so they can hug the glass. As the lower section will be filled with sand, this will help to hold the acrylic in place too.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looks nice Juan....I can just picture that baby stocked full of fish!

jpsika08

Thanks Bryan, next step will be developing the sump and Rockscape.
I already have the sand, it will be black.

I want the fish colors to really come out and black sand can make that happen. :)

Lomu

Re: Acrylic Backing (Or Fronting?) lol.

As you all may be aware, acrylic and glass can't be siliconed together, so, I approach the problem in a different manner.

Juan, i have black acrylic in every tank that i have with it´s overflow comb all cut with laser. And everytime i have siliconed it to the back glass from the inside of the tank.

Why do you say you can´t do it ?

jpsika08

Hey Vlado,
problem with silicone is once it's dry, the joint between acrylic and glass will not work; in this case, I know it would work but I would have to see all the silicone traces from the rear glass lol.
It was more of a static decision rather than a functional one.

When we will see pics of your tank?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Black sand will really make it pop. I've been jumping on the anenome bandwagon lately......really want a tank with a showpiece haddoni carpet in it and maybe a bunch of maxi's.....just doing research to see if any fish will work, don't want the hadonni eating all of them!

Lomu

Hey Vlado,
problem with silicone is once it's dry, the joint between acrylic and glass will not work; in this case, I know it would work but I would have to see all the silicone traces from the rear glass lol.
It was more of a static decision rather than a functional one.

When we will see pics of your tank?

LOL !! You can allways stick a vinyl on the back side pannel or you can create live or dry rock pannels and cover all the back.
Or you can allways buy the pannels from http://www.atoll-riff-deko.de/ for example.

Here is what you can come up with ...

20091010207.jpg

jpsika08

Vlado, that's indeed very nice, thanks. Their site apparently doesn't have any English option.

I will seek who sells this in the USA, it indeed looks very cool.

Lomu

You can always translate the page into English or Spanish. Right click on the mouse and there´s an option for translate.

I have searched for representatives in the states in the past (about 2 years ago) and came up with nothing, but times change ... Good luck !!

If i ever start again i would definitely try this.

Tokalosh

I'm a little lost for words, it's taken me a while to pick my jaw up off the floor.........

This is one AWESOME build Juan, welcome bake mate.

Tok

Nice build, thus far. Certainly looks a nice place to sit and watch the fish.

The fish room looks so much better and a more professional space with those horrible Dewalt power tools chucked out of it lol. Interesting to see the way the plasterboard is put up. In England they would be back to front.

lbiminiblue

Here Googles translate - just for fun ;) in Google Chrome, right click translate :)

Family Friend luxury walk. It is the 4th son nomas ... jajajaj
still do not know who is, and we're only in the 3rd month. Whenever I go to buy cigarettes and do not return more jajajajja
The tank is better than ever. Someday I'll have to relive the post. Congratulations on the 4th member! Now if you need a Chevrolet Suburban lol. In good time, children are a blessing. Juan not understand this. How is that going to be subject / glued the glass to prevent escape detritus from the bottom of the glass of 45 ° And as you'll get them out for cleaning it later ... unless they are glued very difficult to see the trap is effective as you mention. On the other hand ... where you plan to put the floating filling the car? Do you think the return pump will go up more quickly than water down the resbosadero? Doing it this way continually fill (no need) RODI water??? Sorry guys for my english, but there where a cuple questions i did not know how to aproch them in Inglés

Glasses for now I'm considering just about putting on a glass side bases, as are 12mm, the weight will prevent anything passing through the sides, these rules I will put some silicone, once dry will serve as packaging at least in theory sounds great but in practice we'll see. within the sump flow and sends it determines the rate of return pump, downspouts I am using are called BeanAnimal, they allow a lot flow. sensor Auto The anger filled the chamber of the sump return. Osmolator TTUNZE 3155 is quite efficient and can handle this size tank, evaporated water quantity and will be similar to my last set because the volume of water is similar. Hopefully everything works as cute as it sounds hahaha.
THIS is why I don't trust google translate XD

GregT

Hi Juan

Festive greetings to you and your family.
Just read your new thread and as with your last tank, the new is really well thought out and planned.
Really looking forward to following this thread

My best regards
Greg