Juan's 300G+ Aparment Reef Tank Chronicle

jpsika08

Today re measured Ammonia and Nitrites.

Ammonia dropped from last week which was at 8ppm to 2ppm
And nitrites climbed to 2ppm (Or above, test tops at 2ppm).

Cycle so far has 24 Days running.

I'm taking a trip to Orlando with my kids next week, hope that when I come back Nitrites will begin to lower and cycle will enter its last phase. :)

rider64

Super build! Just noticed that the "airline" from your standby beananimal overflow is going through a partition up into the air. For this system to work "as designed" you need to bend the tube so that it sits in the water of the overflow box just below the level of the emergency overflow. This means that if the primary gets clogged, then the water level will rise to cover the end of the pipe, and the standby will then develop a full siphon.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@rider64

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

jpsika08

Thanks for the great build chronicle. Part of your build will be helping me in a rebuild of a smaller tank. I had questions that a few of your photos answered!

I look forward to seeing progression in your tank as well as mine.

Thank you very much :)
Glad I can help in any way possible.

Are you planning to get another Stomatopod?

@jpsika08 your thread is amazing! Love your setup and I can't wait to see it full of fish and corals! I'm also getting guidance for my tank from yours!

Super build! Just noticed that the "airline" from your standby beananimal overflow is going through a partition up into the air. For this system to work "as designed" you need to bend the tube so that it sits in the water of the overflow box just below the level of the emergency overflow. This means that if the primary gets clogged, then the water level will rise to cover the end of the pipe, and the standby will then develop a full siphon.

Rider, welcome to RS and thank you for your compliment :)
Thank you for your tip on the tube, you are completely right!, once I get back from my trip I will correct this.

Jp did I understand correctly that when you fly those quad copters that you wear goggles that show what the camera is seeing off the drone?

You understand correct, with the goggles I can see what the camera is seeing.

Here is a video of some First Person View (FPV) (This is not my video, I took it from You Tube).

@rider64

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

+1

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

Glad I can help in any way possible.
The way your base wood mates up with the glass, but your glass bottom is on a supporting foam base. It is exactly what I see. Also, the glass glued to the bottom pane inside of the tank. I have lots of things that can go wrong with what I am doing. There is an exact science, and specific information is hard to come by. Your photos of your build are worth thousands of words.

As for a feisty Stomatopod, most likely. I have all the cold winter months to ponder my next move while I build and plan. Many things can change just as fast as the weather.

Thanks again for the great posts.

jpsika08

The way your base wood mates up with the glass, but your glass bottom is on a supporting foam base. It is exactly what I see. Also, the glass glued to the bottom pane inside of the tank. I have lots of things that can go wrong with what I am doing. There is an exact science, and specific information is hard to come by. Your photos of your build are worth thousands of words.

As for a feisty Stomatopod, most likely. I have all the cold winter months to ponder my next move while I build and plan. Many things can change just as fast as the weather.

Thanks again for the great posts.

You're welcome, if you need any specific additional photos of my setup for ideas, let me know.

Thank you Glenn! It was nice to spend my B-Day at Epcot center with my loved ones. :)

jpsika08

Well, I was back yesterday from my trip, it was nice but too cold for my taste. Orlando was freezing!

Regarding the fish tank, I came to a cloudy water, seems that some plaster went into the tank and apparently a bloom of bacteria as well, I will run the skimmer and maybe some carbon.

As of now, Ammonia is at 0, I guess Nitrties should begin coming down. This has been one long cycle. :)

Last edited:

jpsika08

How bad is the cloudiness? I'd definitely run some carbon. Did you find a plaster chunk?

Hey Bryan, if you see through the front glass, you can't see the rear end of the tank. It was not a chunk of plaster but due to a modification for the rear covers of the tank, the guy that installed them drilled the wall and apparently that dust fell within the water.

I'm just about to finish setting up the carbon reactor, I will run it overnight and see how it goes.

I will post afterwards, thanks for the help.

jpsika08

What I bought on my trip was a Maxpect Gyre 150, I removed the Vortechs MP60's as they are TOO loud, the living room was turning into a Nightmare room because the constant noise of those pumps.

As of now, I'm truly happy with the Maxpect's performance, I have seen the flow move as offered by Coralvue. Also, it's very powerful, the amount of water it moves is amazing.

jpsika08

It seems that this cycle is still going strong, I thought ammonia was out but still 0.2ppm on the chart, and Nitrites are so high, that the result is too high for the Red Sea Marine Test Kit to read. I think I still got at least two weeks to three for cycling.

As of now, the tank has been cycling 1 month and 9 days, the Bio Filter is going to be a good one.

Even though, I have a little ammonia and nitrites are very high, I have began seeing algae on the rocks, I think this is the only true moment one is really happy to see this LOL.

poxHGvw4j

poDxdoNKj