Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

Well, I am finally committing to the planning process since im almost ready to make the plunge into a FULL Reef setup.
This will likely include just LPS and softies, but i guess i'll judge other stuff later based on lighting and stability.
I just sold my old 65Long FW so i can start moving forward now.
The jump in price from 65 to 90g is about $100, and Ive decided I'll not get greedy now that im in the home stretch .:yup:

The 65g tank will be 36x18x24H and i think there will be room underneath for at least a 20g sump.
Part of that 20g will be Fuge, and definately going with an ATO. Very Much looking forward to hiding all my equipment out of the DT.
The plan right now is to drill the back and go with a BeanAnimal Overflow, Im going to use my Eheim Canister for return duties.
Im going to finish my 2nd revision of my WF ATS and hang on the sump.

Once the old tank is out, i plan to add a 20amp dedicated line for the tank straight from the panel, also an RO Line through my crawl for the ATO.
The first and most complex project on the agenda is a DIY LED fixture, i think ive got the design done in my head, just need to start sketching.
I do still need to find the operating temp for a 3 and 5w LED @ 80percent so i can plan cooling.i
Seems like right now i probably will order from ReefLEDLights but not the whole kit because i will be using different heat sinks.

The contents of my current 40tall are going in this with an extra 50 lbs of sand, and probably 30 lbs of LR.
Fish will go to QT until i get everything cleared up and rocks glued together.

Any suggestions are more than welcome ! More Details to follow !:wave::coffee2:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Cool stuff and good luck! I love watching a plan come together.

StirCrayzy

Ima pretty much settled on 3w LED setup Using dimmable drivers from the beginning to give me moreto options down the road .
Now color mapping is the next step.
How far from the tank edge is good to start placement. Then what spacing between bulbs.
Ideally i would like to avoid the typical dark corners.

I think i will start with a 50/50 split of RB and CoolWhite 12 each, then mix in turquoise and WarmWhite 4each.
Then 2 true violet leaving 2 more unaccounted for. Any ideas to fill out the spectrum?

Any coverage concerns starting with 36 LEDs stocking with LPS and softies, and probable nem?
I am going to wire and leave space for an addl driver and 12 more LEDs for future upgrades.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Id talk to reefledlights and ask for suggestions.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

StirCrayzy

First official purchase, $20 20g tall sump (thanks petco ) !:bouncer:

Now on to design work, planning water level at 11.5" to allow 5g of buffer space.
Planned flow at 5' head is 500gph.
photobucket-31503-1342268992113.jpg

StirCrayzy

Question for the day,
i understand acrylic bonding to glass with silicone is not as strong as glass to glass.
By experience i would like to know how well acrylic to glass bonds are holding up over time?

Anyone have acrylic baffles. Chime in.

I have a $60 glass quote, or i have free acrylic ... so im torn whether its worth spending the money on glass.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I had acrylic to glass and while it held it bowed. Only a matter of time before it gives IMO.

dmatt88

I have acrylic baffles in and on top of my sump. They have been there maybe 4 months. The top support has already come undone.

StirCrayzy

Minimal baffle design ... is 4" wide enough to fit a higher flow return pump t if added later?
What is the minimum return area width?
i can adjust by removing area from fuge section.
photobucket-1952-1342476972772.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-07-16_15-46-01_962.jpg
    2012-07-16_15-46-01_962.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

StirCrayzy

After reading a good build using EPDM Marine foam insulation, i think im gonna at least mockup my setup.
The foam is applied to the edges of the acrylic making a compression fit inside the sump.
Ill give it a shot so i can see how the waterflow works out, then most likely will go with glass for the finished product.

StirCrayzy

Ive got one more baffle to make tomorrow. It will be the sock holder, polycarbonate with a couple bends then drilled.
What size holes do 4" wide socks need? Or is it right on the money @ 4"???

dmatt88

Hole size. I've had to cut 6 holes recently n u can only get a 4" hole saw. So hello dremmel