Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

Thanks guys, in no way do I condone this maintenance routine for mainstream reef keeping.
I designed this setup knowing the amount of effort I was willing to put into it, with the hope that I could get a large variety of corals to live happily.
2 yrs in and I'm starting to beat the algae issues, so hoping to maintain my lead on it now.

StirCrayzy

One LFS nearby has a yearly sale where the anniversary year = percent off one livestock item. It's usually when I make a major fish purchase, but since I'm just digging out of a bad spot as far as the tank goes, I didn't go nuts. They have tons of other stuff on sale, but with Christmas coming up, I only picked up one fish.
A green File Fish. Hopefully he can wipe out the aiptasia.

That kinda got the SW in my veins flowing again and I got quite a bit accomplished Tonite, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it with lights on tomorrow.

Today's WC brought to you by ...

I brought the file fish home and dropped bag in my WC tub to acclimate since it was close to the empty QT and was up to temp. I needed 15g from DT to fill the QT, and it's a pretty slow process because I gave away my python hose, and that meant I had to carry buckets from DT drain to QT.

So a full on WC means pulling algae, picking frags off the sand, changing socks, etc. Thankfully everything only took 2.5 hrs. Got the file fish into QT, and even stuck my Mag-Rocks stuck on the back wall, and sandy frags placed on them. Thanks to TimR for those :Yup:
I think it's gonna look like a new tank!, pics when the lights come on.

StirCrayzy

I added these two to QT 10 days ago, so far so good.
My QT process is mostly observational, I'm looking for anything suspicious for a few weeks. This allows a rest period from all the hustle / bustle of capture- shipping, and time to fatten up in case treatment is needed. Usually the only prophylactic treatment is to deworm with prazi-pro, FW bath, Methylene Blue, and after that, continue to observe for a few more weeks. I'm looking to add the yellow clown goby to my fuge, and the filefish to the DT sometime in mid Jan. They have it pretty good in a 20g tank, using discarded DT water, a piece of aiptasia rock, sponge filter and sand from my sump. Both are eating pellets, Dr. G's , mysis, and cyclopeze. Looking alert, and acting normal as far as I can tell, so the outlook is good. :)

Oxylebius

I also de-worm in QT, but not much else. I've used Dr. Gs de-wormer and it worked well with my fish. But I feed them it for a good 3 months (in QT and then in the DT).

I buy from diversden and they QT and treat all their fish before they ship out. So, I haven't had issues with disease in a long while (knock on wood :D to keep it this way).

StirCrayzy

I agree ! I've ordered from DD, and never had any issues with their fish. Any high dollar fish I would get from them. For these low $$ additions, I couldn't justify shipping costs so I picked them up local.
DD file fish = $40 clown goby =$20
LFS file fish = $12 clown goby = $8

StirCrayzy

I use the Dr Gs anti parasitic formula, but I don't expect it to actually be an ich cure, just variety in diet, can't hurt right.
I use it in the DT too every so often.

Oxylebius

When I used it in the DT, I took a chance since I have a DT full of sps. The risk is that the medicine can kill invertebrates (snails, crabs, shrimp, and corals). I made sure I kept carbon replenished, turned off all pumps to make sure all the medicated food was eaten by the fish and didn't fall to the bottom of the tank. I didn't want any of my invertebrates (snails, crabs, shrimp, or corals) ingesting that stuff. Used it daily for a couple of months in the DT. I was happy with it.

cracker

Corals look great! I'm going to work You guys on the gfo carbon reactor thing just as soon as I catch up. When ever that is !

StirCrayzy

Thanks for tagging along Sully. I don't mind putting in some effort, it's fun.
I'm not too sure about GFO, but carbon is Excellent !
Just made a switch at Christmas, I was running BRS small particle, but it got to be clogged within a few weeks. The large particle lignite seems to flow better so far, if it makes it a month, I'm sold. I really don't want to swap before 4 weeks.

Clint24

I'm gonna have to try that carbon when it's time to re-order. I fight my carbon clumping in my reactor also. Good to know. Tank looks good. Keep up the hard work. [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

Something is wrong, I'm not sure what just yet. This week my otherwise healthy corals look like crap, all birds nest frags have RTN and lost all tissue within1 day,Monday-Tuesday.
The main colony still has flesh remaining on some of it but I'm pretty sure the amount of fragging required to get to the flesh areas wil have me decimating the entire thing to pieces. LPS all look deflated, Millipora is now retracting polyps and receding it's encrustment. Also there is a BRIGHT green hair type algae starting to show up. The only change I made was starting to squirt some bright well 2 part Alk additive following generally or less than the recommended qty, since mine was regularly around 7.
I've tried a few 25% WC , one more schedule for today, haven't tested anything yet, but that's on the agenda today, since there's no improvement.
I did double check my TDS is at 001 but I'm going to try a filter swap and re-up my resin before I brew the next batch.

StirCrayzy

Couple other notes. I turned the lights down a bit hoping to quench the algae growth, and my monti is apparently immune to whatever is going on.