Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

Right now it's taking a back seat to dealing with life . Hope fully I can disassemble this week sometime.
5 kids in various states of viral infection / fever takes a toll on the household (wife) and relief is reqd as a priority.

StirCrayzy

Uh, I forgot what's going on here, video ? Something.?
School prep and the end of summer means tank maintenance gets put on the back burner and saw minimal attention for the last few weeks. Which means I possibly would've seen the slow drip from the end of the ATS feed pipe... So out of pure chance, I opened the cabinet door for a peek at the ATO level and saw a puddle...
Squishy carpet too. But luckily not too far out into the living room. So I resealed the ATS pipe, and took it offline for a day.
Did a 20g WC yesterday using my new pump that I finally plumbed in. Another 20g to follow this weekend because I'm noting some deflation in a couple softies.
Algae is on the decline though, so that's a good thing. Manual removal is the best option, as much as I hate to admit...;)

The CUC has been doing a great job helping with the cleanup, my fuge has never been cleaner. Pics to follow:)

StirCrayzy

Really regretting this design. EVERYTHING was designed with failure points directly over the sump .... Except the ATS. what was I thinking???.
Hopefully it doesn't happen again... Or maybe I should redo my scrubber to sit inside the sump... That's a lot of work, maybe I should just wire up the water sensors under the scrubber. Just thinkin while drinkin.

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

Threads due for a revival ...
The algae problem has faded away into cyano, now bryopsis. Since getting an upgraded CUC combined ,with manual removal, I've felt like I'm recovering well, but still phasing through some issues.
Ugly tank at its worst.

Here is after the CUC helped knockout the algae, and the cyano took hold.

And today, cyano is retreating. I'm hopeful as I hit the 2 yr mark on this tank, things are evening out and I can add some new goodies soon.

:cheers:

StirCrayzy

Thanks, what little work I actually do, makes a difference. I actually haven't touched it since I added the CUC and pulled algae in early October ish, or maybe late Sept.
Haven't done anything more than refill ATO in at least a month. I've literally just been watching it and having a beer. Hmm maybe that's the secret...
I Probably should do something this weekend to it, but I doubt I will. Maybe feed the fish, or test the water, the kids like doing science stuff !

DaddyTLi

What does your set of CUC include? How long did it take for each of the stages of improvement based on your pictures posted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

1St pic with algae was the mid of July, 2ND is mid October, the last is a few days ago.

The cyano is still retreating but the hair at the left side is growing faster. Gotta yank it out soon.
As for CUC, there's 2 tuxedo urchins, 1 rock boring urchin, 4 turbo grazer snails, a dozen nassarius , some Ceriths, some astreas, and probably some others I forget about and never see.

StirCrayzy

I was intending to vac it off the sand, but never did. All I know for sure is that it started gaining traction as the algae receded. Something must've gone out of balance, but not much else is looking strange.
I don't believe there to be a measurable difference in nutrient load, but that means I would have to test. I might do a full round of tests, since its prob been about 6 months since I checked anything.
I see cyano issues more in low nutrient setups, and I've never really had it show up more than twice in the 16 yrs I've been salty. It's almost disappeared now, and I haven't done squat to the tank in months. Must be balancing out?

StirCrayzy

So I spent an hour with my sump today.
Changed carbon, thought about pulling the 2 overflowing socks, oh well, maybe tomorrow.
I decided I would run some tests.
Couple months since a water change, so I'm fully aware of the need for some further action ;) but nothing alive in the tank has caused any alarm really.

Nitrate, - 0
PH - 8.1
TEMP - 79
Alk - 6.5
CA - 310
Mag - 1200

Added a couple squirts of brightwell A & B 2 part, but I'm gonna have to do a WC I guess.
I've had 20g of SW circulating in my basement since the last WC, Guess I should use it.